Netgear vpn client

Hello, I have a Netgear Prosafe FVG318. I want to configure a vpn so I can connnect to my home network remotely with a PC. Do I have to use the Netgear vpn client software? I was hoping to just use the XP vpn client. thanks for any insight.

Reply to
Japhy
Loading thread data ...

I might be wrong. Usually, a software client VPN solution is usually dedicated to its server VPN solution, which is your router's solution.

VPN solutions are hardware to hardware, like router to router or router to firewall appliance. Software client is connected to software server VPN, like AT&T's Extranet solution. Software client dedicated to a hardware VPN solution, like a Watchguard FW appliance and its dedicated client software VPN solution. O/S client VPN to O/S server VPN, like XP to Win 2k server or Win 2k3 server.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

The Netgear VPN router uses its own proprietary encryption and the cliendt end does thus need its matching piece of software with the same algorithm. The Netgear client software is VPN01 to match the Prosafe routers. XP VPN client is different. Peter

Reply to
Pierre

"Pierre" hath wroth:

Ok, so now it's an FVG318. See my previous reply. |

formatting link
only IPSec. No PPTP or L2TP. Includes a VPN wizard to help with the setup.

No, it doesn't. The Netgear VPN client is a licensed version of the older Safenet VPN software. It does IPSec which is rather standard. The curent Safenet version is called "SoftRemote". |

formatting link
|
formatting link

Duz this proprietary Netgear algorithm have a name?

The built in XP VPN client will do PPTP, IPSec, or L2TP. |

formatting link
IPSec settings are under Properties -> Security -> IPSec Settings However, IPSec is a PITA to setup.

This might also be helpful: |

formatting link
(2 pages)

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.