Neighbours wireless router prob

Change your channel, don't hide your SSID, change the SSID to something that means "you" instead of the default from the router, roll a 128-bit WEP key.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith
Loading thread data ...

Hi I have a Netgear DG843G router, the wireless has been working fine for the last 6 months... Then one day I turned on my Laptop, and it connected to someone elses wireless router instead of mine And I couldn't see my router in the 'View Wireless Networks' window, I've tried all the other wireless channels, and my router just will not show up :(

Anyone got any idea how to get round this?

TIA

Reply to
_D

Is SSID broadcast enabled? Initial thoughts were that turning SSID broadcast off would improve security, but it turns out it just causes connection problems.

What kind of AP does your neighbor have? Some "really high speed" APs would clobber nearby WiFi networks by hogging all the bandwidth. Your only solution there might be to convince your neighbor to turn off those features as unnessesary (why do you need 108 megabits to share a {1.5,3,6} megabit broadband connection?)

What OS are you running?

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I had the same problem a while back and changing the channel worked. I also used Network Stumbler and walked around until I got the strongest signal. Then talked to the neighbor. I never could figure why I had a strong signal from my router and a really weak signal from my neighbor but would connect to his router.

Reply to
Danny C

I've tried to set up WEP on my home network before but never could get connect with it enabled. Can you give me a brief explaination how to set it up. Do I just make up a hex key myself?

Reply to
Danny C

Depends on your router's configuration pages, but enable WEP, select

128-bit security, enter the same hex key (*) into the router and the client software, and you should be good to go. Sometimes setting authorization(?) to "open" helps the router and client get in sync easier.

(*) Note that passphrases are not interoperable across vendors, and passphrases are much less secure than a good random string of hex digits.

Well, I roll a pair of 16-sided dice, but I do this a lot, and am a bit of a geek. You can get the same result from 104 coin tosses or any other decent random number generator.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I had been trying the 64bit and never could get it to work. When I tried the 128bit it worked the first time :-)

Thanks, Danny

Reply to
Danny C

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.