Losing connectivity laptop to wireless router

Hi, Maybe there's a setting I don't know about. I have a Netgear WGT

624 v3 router, and 2 desktops connected with Ethernet cable. I also have a laptop which I connect wirelessly to the router, when I need to use the laptop, or else I keepthe laptop off. All 3 PC's are running Windows XP Media Center 2005 SP2. I'm also using the WPA-PSK [TKIP] security option.

My desktops work fine and stay connected, however my laptop will connect OK and tell me I'm conncted to my network, and if I search for available networks, mine is listed sometimes along with some neighbor's. However after about three to five ninutes, I notice all of a sudden, I can't surf the web (server not found) nor can I even connect to my other PC's on my network. If I hover over the monitor icon in my system tray it still says I'm connected to my network at 54 mbps and signal strenth is excellent, but if I click the icon and choose the "view available networks" list, it says "Choose a wireless network, Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you have enabled another program to manage this connection, use that software. If you want Windows to configure this connection, start the Windows Zero Confiuration (WZC) service." I don't know how to get to WZC.

I obviously have connection at first, what's getting in the way? It's configured when I first boot the laptop.

All I can do is reboot to get connected for a couple of more minutes. I even put everything "always on" in the power saver options so the laptop doesn't try to hibernate or shut anything down.

Any help appreciated, thanks much.

Reply to
dke3591
Loading thread data ...

in the notification box (windows bottom right) do you see another signal strength meter.

could be that your wireless car software is controlling connection not windows.

Reply to
Yes Baby

Thanks Yes Baby, I think I got it working now. I didn't find an extra signal strength meter, but I searched about WZC and I found out how to start that and so far so good. Guess I was stubborn thinking it was something else as it would connect for a while, so sorry for a question I should have looked up. Next I'll try setting the laptop in battery saver mode and see if it holds connection when I set the laptop to sleep after a few minutes, so I may be back here if I have trouble with that. Thanks again.

Reply to
dke3591

I guess I spoke too soon, I rebooted and am again losing connection. I even checked "restart the service" on 1st, 2nd, and subsequent failures under WZC Properties/Recovery. This isn't even on battery yet.

Reply to
dke3591

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 07:09:25 -0700, dke3591 wrote in :

The reported signal strength is a lie or irrelevant, take your pick. The usual problem is wireless interference. Or a poor antenna. Does the laptop work reliably when only 6 feet from the access point?

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.