Need help connecting

I connected to that wirelessly. With the line from the modem to the router. Got the signal indication that it was "excellent" but I think I have to fill in all of that stuff on the page after I put in user name and password. (just password "admin" no user name). I think I've given up for tonight. Tomorrow is another day and I'm seriously thinking just to buy a new one that will have software or something to help set this up.

You guys are really helpful. Maybe I'll get there yet with your help.

Reply to
tonita
Loading thread data ...

We will get there. If you have a connection from the laptop to the router that is wireless, the hard part is done. Most of the information you see in the router can be left unchanged. We'll discuss that tomorrow.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Finger

tonita wrote:

When you log into the router, the first page you will see should be OK after the reset. There are only 4 pages that you need to even look at.

A. Setup (selected on the main menu bar)

The critical things on this page are: a. The pull down across from "Internet Connection Type" should read "Obtain an IP automatically" b. The Network Address Server Settings should have the "Enable" button clicked. c. Start IP Address box should have 100 in it.

All of these things should have been OK after the reset. If you had to change anything, save the settings before leaving this page.

B. Wireless in the main menu bar 1. Basic Wireless Settings in the sub-bar. a. You need wireless enabled - this must be on or you wouldn't connect. b. SSID - this will now read "linksys". Change that to something unique. This is a security issue. If someone like me sees that SSID, he can assume that nothing has been changed on the router and that the login password is the default. Once in, we can change anything we want. This happened in an RV park where we were staying last December. The park operator was providing wifi access through an open connection. Suddenly one weekend, the router became WPA encrypted, and the park administration knew nothing of this. The router password was the default, which allowed someone to change the encryption, which locked all the other users out. c. Wireless Channel - choose 1, 6, or 11. The choice depends on how many AP's are in your neighborhood are on each of those channels. You should pick the least conjested. d. Save those settings. This step will disrupt your connection, and you will need to fix it in order to reconnect. 2. Wireless Security in the sub bar: a. To prevent others from eavesdropping on your traffic, or accessing your Internet connection without permission, you should enable wireless security. b. If your laptop will support it (and it should), select WPA Pre-shared Key in the pull down. There are better methods, but your router does not support them. c. The WPA algorithm is TKIP. d. For the WPA Shared Key, select a good and long passphrase. It should have numbers and/or special characters. What I have done is select a simple sentence with the characters above the numbers replacing the spaces in turn. For example: "The quick red fox" becomes "The!quick@red#fox$". That one is too short, but not found in any dictionary. Remember this passphrase - you will need it for the laptop. If you forget it, you will need to reset the router and start configuration all over. e. Save the data on this page. You will again need to reconnect using the new encryption method and phrase. C. Administration in the main menu bar: 1. Change router password here. As noted above, this is important.

Reply to
Larry Finger

that the login

ng we want. This

mber. The park

nection. Suddenly

n, which locked

nnels. You should

r accessing your

WPA Pre-shared

our router does

one is select a

replacing the

it for the laptop.

nnect using the

Reply to
tonita

that the login

ng we want. This

mber. The park

nection. Suddenly

n, which locked

nnels. You should

r accessing your

WPA Pre-shared

our router does

one is select a

replacing the

it for the laptop.

nnect using the

Reply to
tonita

My desktop is at least 100ft from my router.

If my desktop was adjacent to my router, it would be inside a locked cupboard in the cellar.... (there's no leopard though)

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

No, nothing has been disrupted. I don't know which version of Windows you are using, but you should be able to click on the network icon in the lower-right hand corner and it should say something like "Wireless Networks Available". It may take a right click. The right screen will have a table of networks and signal strengths. You then highlight yours and click on Connect. It will then query you on the passphrase.

Sorry that I'm not more specific about this part. It has been several years since I used Windows regularly.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Finger

Reply to
tonita

Yes - in "d" you told the router, now you need to tell XP. Once you get connected to the router once again, you can then go in and change the router password.

At that point, you should power off the router and the modem. Plug the RJ45 cable from the modem to the WAN port on the router. Turn the modem on first, wait about 10 sec, and then power up the router. After about 20 seconds, you should be able to connect to the router. Log in with your new password, and click on the Status button in the main menu bar. It should show an Internet IP Address, with non-zero values for the Gateway and at least one of the DNS entries. At this point you should be on-line.

If there is still something wrong, please send me the Make and Model of you modem.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Finger

This just isn't working. I am doing something seriously wrong. I got a blue screen that said there was a problem and windows was shutting down and then when I re started it recommended a system restore. that happened a couple of times and I'm afraid I'm going to cause some damage here.

I'm just g> Ok...I got as far as "e" and then I couldn't access any more on the

ead "Obtain an

at SSID, he can

nd that the login

hing we want. This

cember. The park

onnection. Suddenly

ion, which locked

hannels. You should

or accessing your

enable wireless

t WPA Pre-shared

your router does

rase. It should

done is select a

rs replacing the

t found in any

d it for the laptop.

connect using the

nt.- Hide quoted text -

Reply to
tonita

Just as a side note, when you get another router and go through the step by step instructions, don't even bother with password changes, or encryption, or any advanced steps until after you have the router talking to the computer and all is working well. These things today are practically plug and play for basic wireless functions and shouldn't require any stressing on your part

Reply to
RBM

Unfortunately, that won't help. If you use encryption, and you must to be at all safe, the same thing will happen with Windoze. That is the REAL problem now.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Finger

Well, I am finally online wirelessly. After a few hours on the phone with Dell tech support (that's what it took) the router finally works. I hope it sticks!!

You have been very helpful and I appreciate the time and effort you put in to help me out.

Thanks again and keep your fingers and toes crossed that this will hold!!

Reply to
tonita

Congratulations on getting it working, and for sticking with it.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Finger

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.