adding linksys router to wired network

My situation is I am trying to connect a wireless linksys router to a switch just for laptops to access. When I first did it I didnt turn off dhcp but people keep losing network connection. I did some research and found info that said connect to wireless router thru ethernet cable and configure it with a .0.1 IP then disable DHCP and plug the cable into a numbered port not the WAN. Did that but a day later everyone lost connection. Am i wrong in thinking that the wireless cant mess up the existing network? I would appreciate any help in resolving this issue.

Reply to
arty998
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:1171907606.344292.169760 @t69g2000cwt.googlegroups.com:

Do you have another DHCP server ?

Also, what exactly does 'people keep losing network connection.' mean ? Without more info, that statement means next to nothing. Does it mean wireless clients lose connection to the rtr ? Does it means internet stops working for everyone, but you can communicate within your LAN ? Etc.

Correct, the wireless router is connected to the wired switch using a LAN port on each. A crossover cable may or may not be necessary depending on the devices connected. The WAN port will be connected to nothing.

The IP of the router LAN should be whatever your IP subnet is used on the network.

A properly configured WAP should happily co-exist with a wired network.

Reply to
DanS

When I say lost connection I mean couldnt connect to the internet. I just switched everyone over to static IP's and kept the router without DHCP. I am starting to think its a provider problem because using static IP's the internet connection stayed up for two days but lost connection this morning. Only one computer kept an internet connection. After reseting the switch everyone started to come up. Plus whenever anyone connects wirelessly they get the correct IP range know since I disabled DHCP and keep the eth cable plugged into a numbered port.

Reply to
arty998

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.