What hardware am I going to need?

I just moved into a new house and my roommate has DSL installed in one of our rooms. What am I going to need (hardware wise) to bring the signal into another room in the house? I have a desktop and laptop that I would like to be able to connect to the DSL. The laptop has wireless capabilities (802.11b), so it would be nice to utilize that as well. So basically I would like to take 1 DSL line and connect 2 desktops (network cable) and 1 laptop (wireless) Thank you.

Harold

Reply to
haroldact
Loading thread data ...

My first question is, what hardware do you have? Does the DSL modem connect to his PC with ethernet, or is it a USB or internal modem? If it's ethernet, a router with 802.11b wireless can be had for less than $50 that will let you connect 1-4 PCs via ethernet, and more via wireless. If the modem is USB or internal, the answer gets more complicated.

Reply to
Rick Wintjen

A DSL connection normally can't be split. One modem on the premises per DSL line. You will need to work with your roommate on setting up a LAN.

Reply to
NormanM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.