MR814v2 Netgear Works wired, not wirelessly

I just upgraded the firmware, but no joy.

The symptom is that a webpage with little data (google or others like it) will load without problem. Searches on google come back fast. But try to load a website with a lot of information and it bogs down to the point where it might take 20 minutes to load the main.html page.

Pings work. Whether dotted or FQDN. So I know I have connectivity. Signal strength is reported as excellent and MPS never drop below 11, certainly faster than the internet connection!

Replace the wireless USB network interface with a wired USB interface and everything works just fine. The router functions as expected in all respects with wired connections.

Checked everything I could check to confirm there wasn't some blocking that was specific to the wireless IP address (Norton, Windows, Router) in use.

Does this sound like something anybody has run across? I'm close to thinking it is the wireless "portion" of the router and I'm hoping that maybe somebody here will tell me I'm wrong and provide a quick fix! I know, I know, wishful thinking.

Anyway, thanks in advance

mike

Reply to
Mike Preston
Loading thread data ...

Yes, I've seen this with an MR814. I don't recall if it was a V2 or other hardware mutation. The problem was Centrino compatibility. Solved with a firmware update. I'm not sure this is your problem but it would be nice to have the latest firmware installed.

Also, you might wanna check your router MTU setting.

formatting link
Also, from the Netgear web pile: Intermittent Internet Connectivity or Connection Drops Transferring Large Files * Upgrade to the latest firmware. * Connection drops every few minutes. Happens in various situations, including with Intel Centrino adapters. * Or, in older firmware, the NAT table can overflow when there is heavy traffic between the LAN and the Internet. Overflows cause a momentary interruption of connection.

It may also be a client radio issue. Have you tried your unidentified wireless USB adapter at a hot spot or other access point to verify that it works properly? If it does, the problem is probably in the MR814. If not, then there's something wrong on the client end.

If still stuck, what flavour of Windoze are you using? If XP have you installed SP2?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Check the version to be sure.

No, I don't agree. Change it to the proper value on the router. The client computers should negotiate the MTU value and set theirs accordingly. Back in the stone age of TCP/IP, there were problems with Windoze machines that would not properly negotiate the MTU but that was long ago. You can test the client MTU using ping.

formatting link
formatting link
't forget to add 28 to the packet size for the real MTU size that includes the header.

Assumption, the mother of all screwups. Good luck.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I think I already did that.

Will check and see. The article implies that if MTU is changed for one computer, it should be changed for all computers, switches and routers. Do you concur? Or should I just go with 1400 on the one affected computer and see if that solves the problem?

I'll take it with my laptop down to Starbucks and see. My guess is that it is working, but one never knows.

Thanks, Jeff. I have some work to do, obviously. XPHome-SP2 is installed.

I'll post back if anything interesting develops, like it works!

mike

Reply to
Mike Preston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.