measure thruput between wireless card and wap

Is there software that will measure the speed between my wireless access point and my laptop? Thanks in advance

Reply to
jawdoc
Loading thread data ...

Yeah, you can use iPerf, install it on your laptop and a wired machine, and run it. Works really well.

Reply to
NetSteady

I have the iperf executable but I don't know how to use it. Can you give me a little direction. Thanks in advance!

Reply to
jawdoc

Well, it's fairly simple. You just need to do the following:

1) On the wired machine run "iperf -D" 2) On the client/wireless machine run "iperf -c [wired machine ip]"
Reply to
NetSteady

Note that Iperf will give you the speed between two computers and not between the wireless access point and a wireless client. In order to get meaningful results from a high speed wireless connection, you need to have the test server connected with 100baseTX-FDX (full duplex) to the LAN ports on the wireless router. That will usually give about

80-90Mbits/sec on the 100baseTX-FDX end. If the wireless part is connected at 54Mbits/sec, you should get about 25Mbits/sec thruput. The LAN connected server computer has to be capeable of higher speed than the wireless computer or the results are worthless.

See:

formatting link
IPerf examples.

If you're into Windoze centric tools, see:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Taking a moment's reflection, NetSteady mused: | | 1) On the wired machine run "iperf -D"

Might have better results using the "-s" flag instead of "-D" if on Win OS.

| 2) On the client/wireless machine run "iperf -c [wired machine ip]"

Reply to
mhicaoidh

Yeah, that would prolly work better ;)

Reply to
NetSteady

Unless you need precise results, just use the free Qcheck:

formatting link
It gives you a ballpark speed.

- JB

Reply to
JB

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.