hardware security question

Other than encryption of the the packets what else can be done on the

*hardware* side to increase security between client antenna and two computers,one desktop and other a laptop? I guess I don't fully understand the difference between all this wifi equipment I see advertised. I may not be able to answer right away, due to problems with this newserver.
Reply to
Tomcat
Loading thread data ...

Nothing, as far as I'm aware. The 802.11 protocols define a set of encryption methods,, mostly s/w implemented (though typically you need at least firmware support for the method), and thats what you get.

Current thinking is that you should use WPA if at all possible.

Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Thanks to Dave and Mark for their replies. So these bridge devices; ap routers, etc would not add anything useful in the form hacker protection? I thought since they had firewalls in them that that would be beneficial? Please explain it for me ok? Thanks. I have read some "hijacking" posts that are kind of worrisome saying they can hijack your wifi connection.

David Taylor wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.cable.ntlworld.com:

Reply to
Tomcat

Well on the hardware side, leaving packets alone, use the most directional antennas you can use and turn the power down to the minimum to make it work.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

A wireless bridge is just that, a LAN to LAN connection via wireless. There's packet encryption and then there's making sure that the radio signal doesn't spill out to the whole neighbourhood around you.

If you want more security than that, you're into changing other devices like firewalls on the PC's. A bridge as such shouldn't really be doing any firewalling as that's layer 3 whereas the bridge is a layer 2 device.

You can add on hardware security gateways but they cost money. :)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

So, was I mistaken in thinking that some bridges OR some client APs have have hardware firewall features built in? I'm pretty sure I've seen them advertised somewhere. I do understand the difference between wifi packet encryption and not spilling your signal (intend to use a dish for that). that) How is this signal hijacking accomplished? What identifier is used to hack the packets-is it IP, same as for regular net connections? I tried to research this stuff but much of it is scattered and piecemeal on various sites.

David Taylor wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.cable.ntlworld.com:

Reply to
nobody

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.