linksys wrt54gs

hiya

I bought an HP networked enabled printer (the P2015) and decided after a time that it would be nice to be able to connect to it wirelessly

So I bought the cisco router because the sales guy said it had auto setups and a very comprehensive web interface.

It does have both. Problem is:

1. The auto setups assume that you connect to the internet via cable. I don't ~ I connect via hsdpa/3g broadband. I'm a mobile worker and so fixed cable lines long ago disappeared from my lines. The auto setup (and all the downloadable help files) all insist that I connect out by way of the cable connect.

So you can picture me gloomily looking at am animated graphic that cisco provides which shows a cable point moving steadily through space until click! it connects. over and over again.

so in my case the auto setup is not very helpfull, and cisco's well meaning additional help also fails.

1. the great web front end is designed for folk who work every day with networks, not simple people like me who get to do something once every 5 years.

I don't know which settings to tweak (or half the time what they mean), how to define the printer (it's been given the first available address automatically, but I don't know how to talk to it) and so on.

1. HP is not much help. they say "find the ip address, and if it doesn't work talk to your network administrator" Which is me.

1. when I use the "new printer" setup using the url, it gets all shirty and tells me there is no printer there ....

To summarise. I can see the router. I can connect to the web ront end The router can see the printer (cos its assigned it an address)

Can anyone tell me what settings on the front end I need to tweak to get the laptop to talk to the printer?

tx

Reply to
ilinkcstemp
Loading thread data ...
  1. formatting link
    says that hsdpa is a mobile phone protocol, so it sounds unlikely that a cable modem router would be able to make use of it. Did the sales rep understand that you wanted to connect via a mobile phone?

1. formatting link
    many links relevent to the P2015, including drivers, descriptions of the setup/installation and troubleshooting.

2. If you decide to keep the cable router :- The default network address of the router is probably written on the bottom of it.

If you open a command window (Start.Run command) then type in ipconfig you should see what IP address has been allocated to your PC. The first 3 fields will be the network address.

If you type in netstat -an into the command window - it will list all IP addresses that your PC has connections to. If the PC is aware of your printer, then its address will be in amongst them (on the same network as your PC).

Hope this helps

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
a

Reply to
ilinkcstemp

I'll take a shot at this....

Start>Settings>Printers and Faxes>Add printer>Local printer (dont' check search box)>Create new port>Standard tcp/ip port>(enter ip address of your printer).

Note: You will likely need to turn OFF in your printer (not your router): dhcp, IP auto, bootP. Then assign a static IP address to your printer (example: 192.168.1.110). You will also need the gateway address for your system. On a WRT54gs it is

192.168.1.1. Your printer manual will tell you how to do this. In HP, it is usually in the configuration menu or, ideally, you can access the imbedded web server in the printer and do it from there. If you use the web server, know that once you set the IP to anything other than the default, you will have to reopen the printer url with the updated IP address.

This allows you to enter the printer IP in the wizard referred to above. With dhcp enabled you run the risk of having a different ip assigned by your router each time you boot up, thereby making it impossible for your computer to print to an unknown port address.

After this is all done, your router may/may not see the printer, but once the port is set to the printer IP, it should work regardless.

Reply to
rieker

thanks rieker, really appreciate the advise: i will give it a shot wednesday when i roll by the printer and the router again :) c

Reply to
ilinkcstemp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.