is it this simple?

Total newbie to laptops here. Just got a laptop, and want to use it portable at hotspots, from time-to-time.

I've put in a PCMCIA 802.11b/802.11g wireless card, and will have installed the softwarein a day or two.

From that point on, is it as simple as going to a hotspot, turning the laptop on, and the internet connection will be automatic?

Reply to
rb
Loading thread data ...

"rb" writes: (snip)

Pretty much, yes. Usually at such places your first Internet access will have to be through the web: they will have an intercepting proxy that, whatever web page you try to look at, first you have to accept their terms and conditions or suchlike. Then once you've done so things should just work.

Try to find a seat where you can plug in. Wifi can rather reduce how long your machine can run on batteries alone.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark T.B. Carroll

Yep, it is very simple, but having your software to "automatically connect" to anything and everything available isn't a good idea.

I don't know if you are talking about about "going around to [public] hotspots:, but if you are, something to consider:

Remember, security is a two-way street. Arbitrarily (automatically) connecting to open SSID's can be, potentially, as much of a risk as running an open SSID yourself. When you connect to an "open SSID", you aren't "connecting to the internet". You are connecting to a local network. If the internet is available through it then that is because the local network has an internet gateway. The "open SSID" becomes a Man-in-the-Middle and can do all sorts of things: capture everything you put across it, easily re-direct any network traffic you do to include even "spoofing" legit web sites, probe your machine for anything open, attempt to upload malware, etc, etc. I have an open SSID here that I allow others to connect through. (No, it doesn't do anything malicious.) The " intercepting proxy" that Mark mentioned in his reply is called a captive portal. Captive portals are commonly used with open SSID's for many reasons beyond forcing connectees to "agree" to a "Terms of Service". I.e., with mine, it blocks all ports beyond the web, blocks many web sites (such as p*rn, I figure if someone wants to browse p*rn all day long that is fine, but they can do it on their own dime, not mine), etc. CP's also segregate your personal local network from the network that open connectees connect with.

Also, going around and allowing your laptop to arbitrarily connect to (or attempt to connect, if they are secure) SSID's is considered just rude. People, who are vigilant, will see it in their logs.

This isn't to say that you need to be overly paranoid though. Keep your OS updated, run a good firewall/AV, and (more importantly) always keep the above in mind.

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
eric

Yes, it can be that easy. 2 more things to be concerned about:

-Never connect to a peer-to-peer network that appears in a public place, many of them are the malicious type.

-Be aware that unless proper security protocalls are followed, you will most likely be sending passwords, account numbers and the like, unencrypted, at least until you enter the secure mode.

Bill Radio

formatting link

Reply to
Bill Radio

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.