Router used as a wireless adapter

Sorry as I know this question has been asked and answered many times. I am looking at the Linksys compact G router. (WRT54GC). Could this router be used itself as a wireless adapter or client ? The control panels are very similar to the standard Linksys variety. The chipset is diffirent than the standard WRT54G model. It is apparently similar to the Linksys Wireless Voip Model No. WRT54GP2. The Sveasoft and Talisman firmware hacks do not work on this model ( yet) to offer additional functions over the standard. Can any one think a way this router be used as a wireless adapter or client ?

Reply to
frankdowling1
Loading thread data ...

If you ask the same question over and over, eventually you might get the answer you're expecting. Kids under about 4 years old do that to see which parent will give them what they want. It often works.

No. Nothing in the existing firmware feature set to suggest a client mode. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like it also doesn't support WDS, which methinks could be convinced to act as a client. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know if it will play. If you could figure out a way to get a command line, then perhaps some hidden features and config screens could be found.

The internal web server uses ASP templates, so just about everything from Linksys looks similar.

That's the problem. The open source WRT54G code uses pre-compiled linkable libraries for the Broadcom chipset. They won't work with any other chips.

The alternative firmware will appear as soon as Linksys releases source code for the device. You might wanna call or email Linksys and remind them.

Nope.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yes but parents learn quickly to adapt and retaliate by using the following scheme:-

Mum: "You'd better ask your dad" Dad: "You'd better ask your mum"

:)

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.