WRT54G and 10Mb connection

Hi all,

I have a 10Mb connection via NTL connected to a Linksys WRT54G (v1.0, Firmware 1.02.1), and only get about 6Mb max throughput. I haven't been able to connect a PC up directly to the Cable Modem, because the Router and Modem are downstairs and my PC is upstairs. The PC is connected via a Linksys PCI 54G, with signal and speed never dropping below 48Mbps and Good.

If I were to upgrade the firmware to the latest, would that possibly speed up the net speed? Also, is there a risk of "bricking" the router by upgrading the firmware using the option in the router config?

Cheers,

Neil

Reply to
Neil Barras
Loading thread data ...

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 19:11:23 GMT, "Neil Barras" wrote in :

You should always upgrade the firmware. If you follow instructions and use reasonable care there is no danger of "bricking" the router.

Reply to
John Navas

well, the power could go out during a flash

Reply to
Xenomorph

Yeah, so go buy a $50 UPS to protect your $5 value router.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

The power could still go out. One of my clients had a $$$ UPS go bad. He lost the entire system, disks and all. UPSs can fail just like the 'mains' company.

Reply to
mike vore

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 00:48:02 GMT, mike vore wrote in :

True, but that is very unlikely. It's like saying seatbelts can fail, so why wear one.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.