Linksys Wireless Router WRT54G Problem

Well, except for the fact that you're getting an 80... instead of the

81... that you were getting with the router, it all sounds OK.

Hard to tell from the other side of the pond, try a hard reset (hold reset 30s, remove power, wait 30s, reconnect power, wait 30s, release reset) and without changing anything, setting a password, or doing a single bit of configuration, see if it works. Remember to power up the cable modem, the router, and the computer, in that order, waiting

60 seconds between devices.

Then I'd try cloning the MAC address of the router to that of your computer, as many cable systems care about MAC address.

If neither of those work, and you didn't do anything else when it stopped working, I'd try another one.

Reply to
William P. N. Smith
Loading thread data ...

I've already tried the cloning of the MAC address, so I tried doing a hard reset of the router, and it didn't work.

I guess that just about settles it. The router is going back and I'm either going to try another one, or else I'm going to investigate how easy it is to feed the cable through from upstairs to downstairs and connect the set-top box and PC up permanently via the cable I've been dangling along the landing, down the stairs, across the lounge :-)

Thanks for all your help.

Al

Reply to
ajg_xch

Yeah, it sounds pretty dead, though in a strange way, sendit back for warranty repair. Don't connect your PC to the cable modem without a good firewall, though (which, IMNSHO, means a hardware router), as your PC is laughably insecure.

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

I've been using Zonealarm Pro for quite some time now

Reply to
ajg_xch

That's nice, but it's only as secure as your underlying OS, which is to say, not at all (IMNSHO). I recommend a hardware NAT router as a minimum to protect yourself from the Internet. YMMV...

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.