Linksys wireless questions - MAC filtering and DHCP

I think on the MAC entry you do not include the : between each pair of numbers. I have my router set to only allow specified MAC's, not a quantity.

Reply to
Rick Ankrum
Loading thread data ...

Hello all,

I've been scanning over a year's worth of messages here tonight but I still have a few questions. I have a home network with a Linksys BEFSR41 router and WAP11 802.11b access point. We have 3 hard wired PCs on the router with the 4th port connected to the WAP. We have 1 fulltime laptop and 1 part time laptop that connect to the WAP.

I'm good on the WEP aspect. No trbls there. I'm trying to use MAC filtering on the WAP to only allow the 2 laptop MACs to access it and I can't seem to enter them in the space. The entire MAC address won't fit into the space. Anyone seen this before and have a clue as to what I am doing wrong? The MACs are in the format of XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX.

Also, I have DHCP in the router set to allow a max of 5 MACs to access the network. Assuming all of the machines are online that would limit other users from accessing my network via the WAP, would it not?

I'm not in an area where there would be a high concentration of wireless users or hackers trying to access my network but I'm just trying to be a little safer about it. I strolled out into the street tonight and still had usable signal.

Thanks in advance for your help. Peter

Reply to
Peter Alerich

Thanks, Rick. I think that was it. I was attempting to put dashes between the pairs of numbers - that's how they looked in the DHCP on my router. Just entered the strings as 12 consecutive digits and it seems to have worked great.

Thanks again. Peter

Reply to
Peter Alerich

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.