How to set mac address Linksys

If your are trying to increase your security changing your MAC address would only work if the device has be compromised inside a domain. Make sure all of your devices know the new MAC address and your router has not blocked the MAC addresses of your computers.

Reply to
POPS
Loading thread data ...

You are confusing MAC address spoofing on the WAN side - with MAC address filtering (allow/deny) on the wireless side.

To filter / allow specific wireless clients - you add the mac address of the wireless client and set to allow only.

Reply to
riggor9999

I'm new at this. Very new. I'm trying to change the MAC address on my router and I think I did OK. But now I can't connect on my laptop. My Router is Linksys BEFW11S4. I clicked on the Advanced tab then Wireless. In Wireless I put a checkmark where it says Station MAC Filter - Enable. My laptop is an IBM T42. It's only a year old laptop. Before I was going on line with no problems but now there is no way I can do it.

Please help.

IS

Reply to
IS

Can I ask WHY you want to do that?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Scales

I'm told it increases my security. Wrong?

IS

Reply to
IS

I assume you want to do this because your ISP leases a line to a specific MAC.

If your router is like mine, this setting is NOT how you change your router's MAC. This setting makes the router reject connections from your computers whose macs it doesn't recognise. Before you enable this, you must enter the list of MACs you want to be allowed to connect from. Since you didn't do this, it probably explains why you can't connect.

Try resetting the router to factory defaults (there's usually a little button on the case), then read the manual again.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

I dont think you can change the MAC of a radio since its hardcoded. Now changing an IP is a different story.

Robert...

Reply to
DLink Guru

OK, I turned the Mac sharing back on. Now I can go online with my laptop.

But how do I make this Linksys BEFW11S4 more safe?

Thanks

IS

Reply to
IS

Turn on WEP and WPA for encryption and authentication, assign static IPs and limit the DHCP IP range to just your Static IPs and turn on MAC filtering to only accept the MACs you use in your network.

Robert...

Reply to
DLink Guru

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.