security, did I catch and did I get caught

When setting up my wireless network (which after much education from this group) it went seamlessly,

In my home I can "see" 3 other networks out there. When I first set it up, I saw one of these and clicked on it trying to access. It asked for a password and such and I just backed out.

Did my neighbor "see" my attempt. Should I go apologize and plead my ignorance?

After everything was set up and working nicely, my Norton security software come up with an intrusion alert. First and last one I have ever had.

It gave me the company name, the address, the website address, and a geographical map of my intruders locations. (well over 200 miles away)

What was that? should I have contacted the company and told them to butt out?

It has never happened again....

Thanks for your feedback... jojo

Reply to
jojo
Loading thread data ...

heh does your neighbor own a gun? doubtful he knew you were there and if he did see your connection attempt he still has to figure out which way to shoot.

I used to hate Norton for selling out to that guy ,,, I still hold a grudge.

Reply to
bumtracks

Enormously unlikely - all you did was initiate a connection to his router.

No. Almost certainly someone's server trying to connect to whoever had your IP before you got it. The only time its worth reporting intrusions is when you get several dozen or hundreds from one machine.

If you want to do this sort of thing, use DSHield or MyNetWatchman to automate it, and turn off Norton's visible warnings - they're nothing but a nuisance.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.