Linksys Cam vs Panasonic Cam

Yes. Educate yourself on how internet addressing works. Pay particular attention to the difference between static addresses, dynamic addresses, non-routable addresses and network address translation (NAT). Assuming you have an internal router, you will also need to understand how to set up port forwarding.

Either camera will do what you want it to do. Linksys offers a subscription DNS service for their cameras, like just Panasonic. There are free alternatives. You just need to set them up properly. Its possible, but not necessarily easy, to learn how to set it up by reading usenet posts. Probably quicker to find a high school student to do it for you though. :)

Reply to
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.
Loading thread data ...

I bought the Linksys cam and spent many hours with their tech support trying to set it up but I've finally given up. I can see the picture when I'm hooked into the local network, but I cannot get it to work from a remote location. Has anyone had any experience with the cams from Panasonic? They claim they give you an address that doesn't change,....something that Linksys does not do. I'm wondering if that would solve my problem.

I would really like to be able to set up remote cameras in different locations. Any ideas?

Reply to
Michael Greenberg

You will probably need to setup port fowarding on your router to allow outside access to your cam. Link below isn't for a wireless cam, but it shows the type of setup you probably need.

formatting link

Reply to
Si Ballenger

The Panasonic service, Viewpoint, is now a no charge service. I use it with two remote cameras.

JHG

Reply to
Jerry Good

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.