Force a Remote Router to keep a VPN Connection Alive?

I just installed a second 1721 router at a remote site and it connects to HQ via IPSec VPN. Works Great when I have a laptop there on site and its actively communicating back to the HQ Subnet. There is only one device there at the remote location and its just a web server of sorts, so it only talks when its spoken to.

My problem is that since the remote site is on DSL, the VPN drops here and there. Since the only device at the remote location does not talk unless spoken to, it never tries to bring up the VPN connection.

Is there a way to make the router keep the VPN connection up even if there is no traffic destined to the remote network?

The DSL Service is a Dynamic IP, so I can't have HQ bring up the connection to the remote. I was hoping for some keep-alive that I can set up in the router to ping the HQ subnet every once in a while.

I've also been suggested to setup a Routing Protocol to transmit Routing Updates. I've tried to setup EIGRP through the VPN, though it wont let me set up any neighbors that are not directly connected.

Any Suggestions would be Great!

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott Townsend
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Buzz Lightbeer

Another useful bit of traffic: Set up NTP and have the router synchronize its clock to the VPN peer.

You might also look at Cisco Cisco SAA (sevice assurance agent) if you have that feature to generate monitoring traffic.

Or, build a GRE tunnel and run a routing protocol over that.

You might also turn on DPD (Dead Peer Detection) to check for VPN link loss due to DSL readdressing (so the VPN device knows to bring up a new connection!)

Reply to
Phillip Remaker

You have a few options.

1) Maybe the easiest is to enable some type of routing protocol and make it part of the crypto ACL. Putting it inside a GRE tunnel would even make routing work. Though in this particular case, broadcasting RIP packets may be sufficient.

2) Try to enable Dead Peer Detection. Not sure what IOS version you have so it may well fall into "your mileage may vary"

The key is to keep something chatty into the crypto ACL.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.