keep losing wireless connection

I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router, and three laptops that all use the built-in Windows XP wireless tool. I experience a loss of connection with some frequency. This seems to happen more (although I may be imagining) when the room temperature is colder. Also, the laptops are frequently unable find the Linksys signal. I will experience these things even when I am in the same room with the router. This is particularly annoying on my work laptop, as I have to reconnect to the VPN every time this happens.

Is there a wireless setting I should change somewhere? Or could I avoid this problem by buying a router with a stronger signal? Any suggestions as to brand and model?

Thanks much,

Mike Christie mike [at] csquared [dot] com

Reply to
MikeChristie
Loading thread data ...

The problem could be the Windows wireless application tool. You should be using the Intel (or whatever) wireless app to configure and control your wireless connectivity.

Reply to
Kevin

Sounds like an interference issue. Change channel on the router; say, from

1 to 6, or 6 to 11 - it may be that other WAPs are broadcasting on the same frequency (and their SSIDs may not be broadcast so netstumbler won't show them).

If there's a reconnect issue, you may want to Google for winsockXPfix.exe

Reply to
__spc__

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.