Help?

Posting for a friend...............

She just got a Dell Latitude laptop and needs to get online. I've never owned (or used) a laptop so my experience doesn't help her one bit. Anyone hve any input on this? She sure could use the help. Thanks, Dusty

Reply to
Dusty
Loading thread data ...

what additional hardware is required. Router, wirless adapter, both?

Reply to
Dusty

Get a broadband connection via your local ISP and either ethernet into the laptop or go wireless.

:)

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

Depends. If you want to keep the laptop in one place then no other hardware is needed, as all you need to do is connect the laptop into the broadband modem using a ethernet cable. If you want to go wireless, you need a wireless router and a PCMCIA wireless adapter for the laptop, unless it has built in wireless.

You can buy a wireless 802.11b router and PCMCIA card for about 30 to 50 dollars, depending on manufacturer and sales goin on. You can buy a 802.11g router and PCMCIA card for between 50 and 100 dollars also depending on those previous mentioned variables. Another good place to buy the equipment is on EBAY. Sometimes you can get one great deal. I bout a D-Link 514

802.11b wireless router unopened for 12 dollars with free shipping. Cant beat that.

I personally like D-Link, but others like Linksys, Belkin, Netgear and the countless other manufacturers.

Anyth>> Get a broadband connection via your local ISP and either ethernet into

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

"Robert Jacobs"

Glad to see someone else with a D-Link preference. Sometimes I think I'm the only devoted "D-Linker". Other than a few firmware-related hiccups (especially getting those DWL-7100APs working together!), I have no major complaints. All my D-Link stuff, for the most part, has become rock solid after properly config'd and tweaked -- even though digging for the more technical information off D-Link can be a sport in itself. Guess thats half the fun though. :^)

Cheers!

Reply to
Eras

I'm not a D-Link lover, although I have two DWL-122 USB dongles. I think DLink, Netgear, and Linksys are interchangeable. I bought a Netgear "g" package after buying a dead Netgear "b" and returning it. At this price range, it's all about price, and at this price range, it's all about rebates.

Netgear WGB511 802.11g Wireless Networking Kit $74.99 - $25 = 49.99 WGR614v4 Router and WG511 PCMCIA card that I have.

This setup works well with WindowsXP. I did have to upgrade the drivers for the WG511 card, but that was simple enough.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.