Failure to renew IP address

Using a laptop running XP Home with a Netgear MA251 adaptor, and a D-Link DI614+. Using the Netgear wireless utility and Windows wireless management disabled.

For some reason, my Internet connection drops and repair fails because my IP address cannot be renewed.

On startup, I have to wait until the Netgear management utility is running, and sometimes it doesn't start at all. Without it running, there's no network.

Restarting the computer restores the connection -- for a time. Then, with no warning, the connection is dropped again and I must restart.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Zippy the Pinhead
Loading thread data ...

Unplug your cable/dsl modem and your router. Remove the notebook card from the laptop. After about 30 seconds, reinsert the notebook card, then plug in your cable/dsl modem and then your router. Surf the internet.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

I'm having a similar problem. Win XP, Netgear 614v2, firmware v2.16, Netgear 511 adapter.

I can communicate with the router, hard/soft reset, powered on/off router and cable modem. When I try to use utility to renew IP, it fails.

Any suggestions???

Same results when I hardwire laptop/desktop to router.

Direct connect to cable modem works fine....

Reply to
Jack

Taking a moment's reflection, Zippy the Pinhead mused: | | Using a laptop running XP Home with a Netgear MA251 adaptor, and a | D-Link DI614+. Using the Netgear wireless utility and Windows | wireless management disabled.

How about with the Netgear utility disabled and Windows wireless enabled?

Reply to
mhicaoidh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.