IP address assignment with "SNAP" ?

I have a embedded ethernet device that powers up with no IP address. It can then somehow be assigned a IP address by another host on the network with a user selected IP address through a application program. When I look at the exchange that occurs between the app and device using tcpdump I can see mention of "vlan" and 801.2Q in the frames. I have also read that it is using "SNAP" to do this. Is there a known standard way to assign a static IP address that uses these type of techniques? Searching the internet I have not found any documentation on how SNAP or vlan applies to this.

Tks,

-gene

Reply to
geneSmith
Loading thread data ...

Ethernet SNAP is a frame type. Most devices use the ethernet II frame type. In order to assign your device an IP address (from DHCP or BOOTP or the like) you will need to have the server assigning the address user ethernet SNAP frames. Not many servers support that nowadays.

Alos if the device is using tagged vlans (it must be if you see "vlan" mentioned in the frame) it needs to be plugged into a switch that supports vlans, with the port set to accept tagged frames of the VLAN ID the device is sending out.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.