Intel Pro/Wireless 5000 Access Point POE

Has anyone had any luck with POE on an Intel Pro/Wireless 5000 access point? I have tried an power injector and used a 802.3af netgear switch to provide power to the access point. Both have not resulted in providing power to the access point. Any help would be great.

Reply to
bhavsarbunch
Loading thread data ...

Are you 100% positive it is 802.3af compliant?

formatting link

Reply to
Kev

compliant?

formatting link
I saw the part about "Access Points are not 802.3af Compliant". However, their manual says that they are 802.3af compliant and also when you click on the link "Access Points are not 802.3af Compliant" it continues to state that there are injectors that are compatible. My thought at this point is that the access point has the 802.3af standard for which pins supply the line voltage, but are not compliant in the standard voltage amount (i.e. 48v) or minimum current required. Any thoughts??

Reply to
bhavsarbunch

The PD6001 has "legacy detection" and operates at 48vDC

formatting link

The installation set up states :- "Warning: Do not plug an Intel® PRO/Wireless 2011B Power Injector Module into any model Intel® PRO/Wireless 5000 LAN Access Point. The access point will be severely damaged." The 2011B injector is 24v ftp://download.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/pro2011b/accesspoint/PwrGuide.pdf

I assume that the 5000 is 48v. Some early Cisco POE installations, pre 802.3af, had the polarity reversed but can't find any reference to that being the case for the 5000.

Reply to
Kev

ro2011b/accesspoint/P...

I think you are correct that the 5000 should be 48v. I am going to try the Powedsine PD6001. The difference between the injector I tried and the PD6001 is the wattage rating. So, the assumption would be that the 5000 requires more current than my current injector. It is that or Intel just flat out lied about this being 802.3af complient. Particularly considering that my netgear poe switch did not supply the needed power.

Reply to
bhavsarbunch

48vDC
formatting link
>
24vftp://download.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/pro2011b/accesspoint/P...

There was one thing I had forgotten about, "Powered Device Detection" is part of 803.af and if your 5000 is a pre 802.3af model then it is possible your injector is not detecting the 5000 and hence not supplying power.

Reply to
Kev

n/pro2011b/accesspoint/P...

Your last post is correct. The Intel 5000 AP is not 802.3af compliant. It is "pre 802.3af" compliant. There are only a few older switches that will work. I am now using a lucent switch made in

2003. It works. The 2006 netgear swtich does not. Looks like you can't trust the documentation from Intel. Thanks for your help.
Reply to
bhavsarbunch

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.