Hidden SSID instead of WEP

Hi All, how risks there are if i hide the SSID on my router instead to use WEP encr?

Thanks Syu.

Reply to
Syucomm
Loading thread data ...

You will have no protection at all....

Sniffer programs can still see your wireless traffic without SSID. Without WEP or WPA you are wide open.

MAC address filtering is a small help.

Guy

Syucomm wrote:

Reply to
Bigguy

Hiding your SSID is useless, it provides no security as it is easily discovered. WEP is no real great, but it is real security. WPA is the best technique to use.

Reply to
Pen

As others have said, no protection at all. And when the guy next door is checking for an unused channel in install his new wireless router, he won't see yours and plonk it on the same channel.

Reply to
Steve Pearce

Every time one of your stations (PC with a wirelss card) that knows the SSID associates with the access point in your router, the SSIS is sent in the clear. So all someone else has to do is wait.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

Thanks for saying that. I'm new at all this, but I had concluded that so long as I'm encrypted, there's no advantage to me to hide my SSID, for the very reason you cite. I want anybody who is manually selecting his channel to see me on channel 11, and try to avoid me by going to channel 1. The only advantage I can see to hiding SSID is if you are not encrypting or restricting MAC access. Then it would help prevent a neighbor from accidentally joining your network, but that's about all.

Is that right? You really do want everybody in the neighborhood to see you, just not be able to join your network.

Reply to
Peabody

Hi, ok thanks everyone for response. Now the problem is that: i'm using a netgear router/accesspoint. If i enable the WEP i can see the network only from NETGEAR NET CARDS!!!! Is possible something that? The netgear company can't close the use of router only for netgera product..... Can you help me on this issue? Thank you very much!

Reply to
Syucomm

Nope. WEP is WEP. But there are multiple ways to translate passphrases into passkey strings, so after doing a translation once, copy the resulting passkey strings, as 26-digit hex strings, to the other nodes.

If you don't see a translator, just create a 26-digit hex string and copy that. The 26-digit (128 bit) string is safer than the 10-digit (64 bit) string.

Reply to
Bob Willard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.