Cisco 1100 AP to 3com PoE Switch?

Although I see that Cisco's specs say that the 1100 is 802.3af (power over ethernet) compliant, I have also found a lot of sources selling adapters to allow the 1100 to work with standard 802.3af..... What is the real skinny?

In particular I am looking at hooking up 6 1100 access points to a

3com 2226-PWR switch... Ideally I would go for a Cisco 3550-PWR or 3560-PWR, but it isn't in the budget.

Can anybody offer any first hand experience to clarify the issue?

-=Andy

Reply to
Andrew Albert
Loading thread data ...

Lucked onto a page, that answered my own question (Basically no

802.3af support on the 1121 AP ...... 1130AG, yes).

-=Andy

formatting link
"Most Cisco Aironet access points use inline PoE from power injectors or Cisco powered EtherSwitches, but the Cisco Aironet 350, 1100, and

1200 series access points do not directly support IEEE 802.3af power sources. These access points were designed before the IEEE 802.3af power standard was ratified and must use third party products such as PowerDsine to support IEEE 802.3af power sources.

PowerDsine offers midspan power products that allow customers to deploy a combination of IEEE 802.3af powered devices and non-IEEE 802.3af powered devices such as the Cisco Aironet 1120 and 1121 access points and the Cisco Aironet

350 and 1200 series access points.

PowerDsine's 6006 and 6012 Inline Power Midspan (residing between the Ethernet switch and the access point) supplies power to the access point using unused pairs of wires within the Category 5 cable. This is similar to the capacitive power detection method used by Cisco Aironet power injectors, but the power polarity is reversed. The PowerDsine products apply a positive voltage on pairs 4 and 5 and a negative voltage on pairs 7 and 8. Cisco Aironet power injectors apply a positive voltage on pairs 7 and 8 and a negative voltage on pairs 4 and 5.

PowerDsine 6006 and 6012 products comply with the IEEE 802.3af standard, but also supports a second detection method. These products first attempt to detect powered devices using the IEEE 802.3af resistive power detection method, then if a powered device is not detected, they switch to capacitive power detection mode. When using capacitive power detection, these products can successfully power Cisco access points provided the power pins are switched to the correct polarity. The polarity reversal is accomplished using a PowerDsine adapter cable referred to as a prestandard passive splitter.

Figure 1 shows the PowerDsine Midspan hub and the prestandard passive splitter. "

Reply to
Andrew Albert

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.