Power over the ethernet

I have two wireless access points, a Cisco 1121g and a Gateway 7001 a/b/g. I want to use power over the ethernet to help unclutter the set-up.

I can easily get a Cisco injector w/ Cisco power supply, but I'm confused about how to set-up PoE for the Gateway.

The Gateway claims to be 802.3af compliant. I'm not sure whether that means I should be using its 5V power supply or whether its OK to use 48V PoE power.

So how do I get the Gateway 7001 powered using PoE?

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA.

CV

Reply to
Cal Vanize
Loading thread data ...

Simplest way is to use the spare pairs in the CAT5 to carry the power.

No need for fancy injectors - just cut your routers' existing power supply cable in two and splice it onto the spare pairs inside the CAT5. (obviously you need to completely remove these pairs from the jacks at either end of the cable, so that you don't accidentally run

+12V into the IP network...).

I've used this successfully to power an AP on the end of a 20+ metre lengh of CAT5. The router was an actiontec wireless B unit.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Only problem is that the AP1100 doesn't support 802.3af standard PoE, only Cisco pre-standard PoE. (The design of the 1100 antedates the advent of 802.3af.)

formatting link
Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

I'm unsure how that matters. All you need is a router that has a wallwart PSU.

What I do is using 2 pairs of wires for data going in via the normal ethernet ports, and 2 pairs for power, not even going near the ports. The power pairs are cut off from thejacks and attached to the PSU lead directlly at one end, and to a suitable power plug at the other end.

RJ4=======================================RJ 45 CAT5 CABLING Wall Wart ->========================->Power Jack for Router.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.