Wireless router

Is it possible to set up a wireless router to work with a WiFi pocket pc, without a desktop pc or with a desktop pc that only has a USB port (not an ethernet port)?

If it's possible, what are the basic steps I need to follow to get the wireless connection happening?

Thanks!

Reply to
Eric G
Loading thread data ...

It's possible with a USB to ethernet adapter. The ethernet port goes to the ethernet port on the wireless router.

1. Open wallet.
  2. Remove credit card.
  3. Hand to sales clerk.
  4. Sign the credit slip.
  5. Take wireless router and USB to ethernet adapter home.
  6. Setup USB to ethernet adapter on your computah. Test with another PC or ethernet device.
  7. Setup wireless router with cable between USB to ethernet adapter.
  8. Open instruction book that came with wireless router.
  9. Read and follow instructions.
  10. Optional: fill out rebate coupons and recycle packages.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Heh. I betcha he'll do all of them except the part about "Read and follow instructions"

Reply to
ng_reader

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your ahem.... detailed instructions. :) One more question. Once I've done all of this _setting up_ with all of this new equipment can I then just turn on my cable modem and my wireless router and have my pocket WiFi Pocket PC communicate with the router?

In other words is it necessary to have my desktop PC turned on whenever I just want to communicate wirelessly between my Pocket PC and my wireless router (which is connected to my cable modem).

Sorry if this all seem perfectly obvious to you. In my head, I'm thinking that the desktop might be needed once, just to set things up

Eric

Reply to
Eric G

Thanks very much Jeff for this info, I really appreciate it! :)

Eric

Reply to
Eric G

Well, you did want details.

Yes. Think of the wireless connection as EXACTLY like a wired ethernet connection. More specifically, 802.11 wireless is nothing more than encapsulated 802.3 ethernet packets. If you decode 802.11 packets, you find ethernet packets. So, wireless is just an extension cord in place of ethernet (without the wires).

The computer can be turned off and will not affect the internet access of any other wired or wireless connected computahs. The only thing that's odd is the USB to ethernet adapter. If you pretend that this adapter is built into the computer, with only the ethernet port exposed to the outside of the case, you have the equivalent of a typical wired client computer.

I won't apologize for seeing the obvious.

Correct. You need to setup the WAN (internet) side of the router to deal with the cable modem. Also, you need to setup the wireless part to deal with security issues. Once that's done and saved in the router, the router takes care of all the logins, authentication, encryption, delivering DHCP addresses, and much more.

One thing to watch out for is to NOT try to upgrade the router firmware with a wireless connection. The USB to ethernet adapter should be fine for that.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.