Cisco 2811 and SIP, what do I need?

Hi,

I currently have a 2811 which is just used for data at the moment. I'm looking at signing up for a VoIP SIP service and configuring it on my

2811. This is new territory for me so to get me started, can someone advise what NM/WIC/HWIC I will need as a bare minimum?

Thanks

Peter

Reply to
Peter Danes
Loading thread data ...

We'll just turn this around and ask what you want to do with it?

VOIP means an increadibly large number of different things to different people, what you want to acomplish greatly affects what hardware you get. Especially when Cisco routers are more like toolboxes rather than a dedicated single-use tool.

If you are passing SIP packets from something inside your network to outside your network, you probably don't need anything on the router. Ie. you get a VOIP phone of some kind, it just sits there on your network.

It doesn't sound like you need to turn an FXO into SIP, or feed an FXO into CME making the router a gateway of some kind?

Its possible that you want to setup CCME to make a PBX type system with your 2811?

Finally, you may want to terminate the SIP trunk you've obtained to be terminated on a FXS so you can plug an analog phone into the router and have it ring when the SIP trunk receives a call?

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

That could interest me :)

I have one 2600 router and IOS 12.4

can you help me starting that thing?

Thank you

I have one SIP account with a SIP Provider I would like to terminate it on an analog PBX to use with standard analog phones.

I think I'd need one wic with a voice RJ11 port..

Reply to
Elia Spadoni

Is it a 2600XM? Or a 2600? Alot of voice stuff requires a ton of memory to run the latest images, that a plain 2600 couldn't have. The latest voice stuff adds things like SIP registration with usernames instead of only E.164, so its pretty desireable, seeing as almost all SIP providers do it via username.

The most basic setup would be adding on hardware DSPs like the NM-1V or NM-2V, and popping a VIC card into their slot, in your case a VIC-2FXS, such that you could plug an analog phone into the card.

That sounds like you need an FXS port. The opposit of that is the FXO port/card.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Hello

I have both 2600 and 2600XM

in detail, talking about XM versions, I have :

C2611XM C2621XM 48F/256D C2651XM 48F/256D

It could be interesting that I set on the router the SIP user/pass and I can use some VOIP Phones on the lan and an analog phone directly connected via the router.

In the first case I'd need that the phones authenticate on the router directly?? (maybe) and in the latter case I need a voice port with RJ11 plug.

Right?

"Doug Mc>>> Finally, you may want to terminate the SIP trunk you've obtained to be

Reply to
Elia

The expanded DRAM on the 2600XM lets you run some of the later 12.4T images before they dropped support for the 2600 routers altogether. sip-ua authentication using username/password came in a relately recent 12.4T image.

Sure, can be done with a voice IOS load, and stock setup.

Yes, the SIP phones would register with dial-peers on the router. The voice port would also get configured with dial-peers.

Setup your dial plan, and it should all work.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.