how monitor my wireless networks

Apprecaite if anyone could answer to the following:

1. How to monitor the actual speed of my internet surfering ?
  2. How to know or monitor whether my wireless networks have been connected by someone else? Thanks
Reply to
c&c
Loading thread data ...

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 18:16:38 +0800, "c&c" wrote in :

formatting link

Use WPA with a strong passphrase.

Reply to
John Navas

"c&c" hath wroth:

Netstat Live: |

formatting link
PerfMon: | Start -> Run -> perfmon.msc (Windoze performance monitor). Hit the "+" sign to add whatever looks interesting.

Windoze Task Manager: | Start -> Run -> taskmgr.exe Select "network" tab.

Lots of SNMP based tools: |

formatting link

Airsnare: |

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 20:00:05 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Yeech!

Reply to
John Navas

John Navas hath wroth:

Why? It produces some rather odd numbers at times, but basically works. I've used it for years with few suprises.

There are others:

formatting link
($24)
formatting link
($20) etc.

I prefer SNMP for obvious reasons. The WEB100 sites you mentioned are great for benchmarking, but not monitoring. They don't give a real time measure of current up/down speed which is what I thing is being asked. Kinda like a speedometer.

Got any favorites?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 22:21:18 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

My take: Poorly programmed. Not terribly accurate.

I personally use Windows XP monitoring, but of course it's not terribly user friendly. ;)

A number of more friendly and more accurate tools than Netstat Live, but I'm too lazy (tm JL) to dig them out before bedtime. (Remind me and I'll dig some up.)

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.