Short wireless link.

The company I work for has been contacted to get a temp wireless link setup in a building that has burned. There was a network cable that ran from one part of the building to another across the area that burned and they need to restore the link until the fire marshal releases the building and lets them pull a new cable or until they demo and rebuild.

I think there is just one machine on the other end of the link but there might be two or three.

What would be the best way to create the link knowing that I need to either plug into a wired pc or a switch (to run several pcs). As far as I know they do not have a wireless network in place right now. Even if they do I'd rather employ a solution that I can add to there existing network to create a wireless point A to point B link to the wired PC's.

I don't have time to order parts so I need to be able to pick it up locally. I can get my hands on Linksys WRT54's and WAP54g's as well as the Buffalo WHR-G54. And I don't mind flashing the Buffalo's with DD-WRT to make things easier.

I know two of the WAP54G's can link but not sure how it handles the ethernet side.. I can also link a WAP54G to a WRT54G but still don't know if I can come out one of them with ethernet. and I know I can WDS the Buffalo's with DD-WRT and the ethernet should work there..

Just curious.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Witner
Loading thread data ...

spanning tree protocol to connect the two wireless devices. power over IP if you need those boxes to be closer to one another

if the connection needs to be secure then use a tunnel through the link end to end between two LAN boxes in the two buildings.

Reply to
shimmyshack

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 00:27:47 GMT, "Adair Witner" wrote in :

Two Buffalo's with DD-WRT is a good way to setup a point-to-point wireless link.

Reply to
John Navas

After I posted this, that's what I got to thinking and are half the cost of the WAP54G's. I can configure them for WDS and setup WEP (or can I use WPA in WDS?) plug in my ethernet cables and go. The link is only going to be about 100' long and I have found out is to run some climent control equipment.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Witner

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 13:20:57 GMT, "Adair Witner" wrote in :

Don't use WEP (ever, especially for a business) -- DD-WRT supports WPA for WDS.

Personally, I'd go with 3 Buffalo's, so I wouldn't have to use WDS -- the 3rd would be an access point (on a different minimally-overlapping channel) connected to the (remote) point-to-point client.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.