How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch

ac (wifi 5) is old.

ax (wifi 6) is the current norm, with wifi 6e available (although expensive) and soon wifi 7.

other devices slow down wired connections too.

legacy devices can go on 2.4ghz (or a second or even third 5ghz band if available). mimo also helps.

it's slightly less. the difference is not significant in this context.

again, ac is old.

real world wifi 6 (ax) speeds at 10 feet, topping out over 1.6 gbit/s:

formatting link

real world wifi 6 (ax) speeds at 40 feet, topping out over 1.4 gbit/s (although a different router):

formatting link

note the sharp drop-off for routers with gigabit ports, which top out just over 0.9 gbit/s, a little more than half that of the fastest multi-gig router.

there isn't that much interference, most clients support 80 mhz and two mesh units can use a 160 mhz backhaul.

and i'm going to stick to mine, that that it's not that clear cut.

Reply to
nospam
Loading thread data ...

nospam snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid wrote in news:130320232227338438% snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid:

No sh*t?

Note, those are tests of ONE router, with ONE client that is capable if WiFi6.

That is just not real world.

Let's see with a few other devices of varying capabilities. Maybe one wireless streaming Netflix, another XBox playing a network game, and several phones, etc. And let's have varying distances and obstructions, like a home would have.

Reply to
DanS

correct, which is what's needed for a comparison without adding any confounding factors.

it's very much real world, versus the (inflated) marketing numbers.

that has nothing to do with wired versus wireless, and anyone can create a scenario to fit whatever conclusion they want.

nevertheless, in the above scenario, a gaming router (which is basically just canned qos settings) would be a good choice for prioritizing the xbox. streaming video doesn't use much bandwidth and phones are normally idle (and rarely use much bandwidth when not), so custom qos settings might not even be needed.

Reply to
nospam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.