How do I turn a spare router into a dumb switch

Like you I don't want to waste things and I only started realizing that every option that I choose adds both the access points and the switches.

I don't "maintain" my routers since nowadays they can upload the latest firmware on their own, and they take their IP address from the modem too.

Can't argue with you that a dumb switch is the easiest method, which is why originally I was only thinking about re-use as a switch but then I realized while looking at all the responses that EVERY option adds two things anyway [1] three or four extra ports [2] two Wi-Fi access points (one 2.4GHz and one 5GHz)

If anything, I have more appreciation now than before I opened this topic that a router is a powerful set of switches & access points no matter how you configure it for a typical home environment.

I only recently realized another use can be to augment a PC's weak Wi-Fi NIC by connecting the router to the Ethernet port and using it for three different purposes all at the same time (which is amazing).

[1] It starts as a wireless client bridge connected to any AP in the home [2] For free it adds a few more ports at that PC if you need more Ethernet [3] And for free it adds two Wi-Fi access points at the location of the PC

I don't see any disadvantage of this other than it uses up the one Ethernet port most PCs have but if you're not using it, then that's not a drawback.

On a humorous sidenote, I observe that going wireless has produced more wires than I had before I only had long ago wired devices. :->

I've run cabling too but I prefer for this re-use not to, so the only cabling will either be from the new home router to the old re-used router (to get more ports mostly as I don't need more access points in the office) or from a PC ethernet port to the old re-used router (to extend its range and to add more ethernet ports to the pc and to add two more access points at the location of the pc).

Practically, that option seems to be the best but it would likely be only useful for a static desktop and not useful for a laptop which moves around.

One trick I've used in the past to get signal from one end of the house to the far end is to drill a hole in the outside wall where the modem cable runs into the house and run the cat5 cabling from the home router in the office out that hole and then around the outside perimeter of the house and then either bring the signal back inside the house at the other end by drilling another hole or without drilling the hole using an access point just outside the window pointing back into the house.

I'd use the router if I could but it has to be outdoor equipment for that.

With all this advice, I'm now leaning toward using the extra router to augment a desktop pc's existing Wi-Fi NIC because the extra router might be more powerful than the PC's internal Wi-Fi NIC, and it also adds extra ethernet ports to the PC and it also adds two additional access points to the PC which cellphones can use.

This seems like a perfect solution for a desktop PC far from the location of the main home router which is usually located near where the modem is.

The only requirement is the desktop PC needs to have an empty RJ45 port.

Once I set up a router, I don't look at it for years, and because of that I often tape a written description of the login details because I don't touch it for another five years and then I forget what the login credentials are.

Reply to
dan
Loading thread data ...

What enhanced software? If you mean 3rd party router firmware, yes, that's generally free, but it's not applicable to a switch.

Reply to
Char Jackson

I agree with nospam. I currently have 3 Netgear GS208 switches scattered around the house where I need extra gigabit ports and they've been working fine for the past 3 years or so. The main difference between the GS208 and the GS308 (linked above) seems to be that the 308 has a metal case, which is nice, while my 208's are plastic. If I was buying today, the Netgear GS308 would be on my short list.

Reply to
Char Jackson

what enhanced software?

it's an unmanaged switch. there isn't anything software can do.

Reply to
nospam

i've never seen a plastic netgear switch. all of the ones i have are metal, going back to 100b-t days.

for an unmanaged gigabit switch, there's no real difference between brands and probably have the same chipset inside.

Reply to
nospam

Basically, you don't. You will get more complicated answers. But they will vary from "not worth it" to "you can't."

Reply to
Zaghadka

In the sense that if you re-configure your network address space on the primary, then you would need to likewise "align" your secondary for compatibility. Yes, most people "get it to work" then leave well enough alone, but it's possible. Whereas with a smart switch there is nothing at all to do.

<S>

I went through a "cleanup cycle" a couple years ago. Sad to see all that good wiring go to the eco centre.

A few weeks ago I attended a ham radio "flea market". There were tons of Ethernet, USB, RS-232 (9 and 15 pin) cables, mice, wired keyboards, old displays, endlessly.

Face it: most of it is now e-trash.

I keep enough that I can "re build" something if needed, but I've gotten rid of tons of stuff.

If I'm missing a cable, I'd go to the eco centre. They don't care if you browse and pilfer.

I still connect my work laptop to Ethernet directly even though WiFi is more than adequate.

Well - even if you have to drill "back in" - (But not very sure on the "outdoor" rating of most CAT-5/6.

I have other options like via the attic that I could use, or (if I let it run on the ceiling gyprock in the basement in a nook nobody would notice), into a crawlspace and up into the main floor LR near the sound system for that room.

<S>

I often peek to see what is using the router. Probably a dozen times per year. Keep the creds in a password manager.

Reply to
Alan Browne

I see that some switches are called "managed switches." What's the difference? What's the advantage of being managed?

Reply to
Ken Blake

it's not at all complicated, and if someone has an old router that otherwise isn't being used, there's little reason not to repurpose it.

turn off dhcp and use only the lan ports. done.

Reply to
nospam

I wouldn't, since I have no need for it.

One more is a tiny amount more. Yes, I know that many would say, multiply that by a lot of people, and it become significant. Maybe so, but that doesn't affect my deciding to throw something away if I have no use for it and can't find someone who does.

Yes, that's the "everyone" point of view I mentioned above. But as I said, it doesn't affect my decisions.

"Most"? Certainly some, but I doubt very much that it's anywhere near most.

As I said, my router has four ethernet ports:

My computer My wife's computer They are side by side on adjacent desks in the same room. My Obi device for VoIP One unused port

My printer, my scanner, and my wife's printer are all connected directly to our computers via USB.

I live in a four-bedroom house. My router's WI-FI works fine everywhere in my house.

Don't want to or are unable to. I used to do that years ago, but now that I'm 85, my DIY abilities are greatly lessened.

Or my choice: giving it to a friend who needs one or throwing it away.

Mine is ethernet and wireless. I essentially use its wireless just for my smart phone, and that's only occasional.

Reply to
Ken Blake

You can disable unused ports to stop anyone simply plugging in and using them without you knowing about it.

You can split your LAN into multiple virtual LANs (VLANs) e.g. to keep work computers separated from play computers/IoT devices etc

You can combine multiple ports to get faster than 1Gb (without going to

2.5 or 10 Gb)

You can monitor how much traffic each port uses

Etc ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not an issue for me. Nobody could plug into a port here without my knowing it.

I have no work computers and no play computers, just a single LAN.

Faster Internet access? What I have is usually fast enough, but that might sometimes be of value.

I don't care.

OK thanks. I don't think that's for me.

Reply to
Ken Blake

an unmanaged switch simply connects devices. it's 'dumb'. it's sufficient for small networks, such as home users.

a managed switch provides for a *lot* of additional functionality that's needed for larger networks, including monitoring traffic, guaranteeing bandwidth or limiting it per device or per port, creating virtual subnets to segregate devices, linking multiple ports together for higher bandwidth, redundancy and a *lot* more. usually there is a web ui to configure it, while some have dedicated software. there might also be a serial port for command line access.

wifi routers are sort of in the middle. they're not truly a managed switch but do offer some of its features, such as a separate guest wifi network that can only access the internet while blocking the rest of the lan, quality of service for voip phones or gaming, limiting access to certain sites or times (often called parental control or intrusion protection).

Reply to
nospam

No, usually faster connection a server (or at home, a NAS) so that multiple PCs can get gigabit speeds at the same time).

I tend to agree ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I just peeked at the new router that I had installed yesterday and just reading the log brings up a whole bunch of new questions I don't know the answers to.

Like should I worry about the time zone or this highlighted line in this screen shot?

formatting link
There are a whole bunch of the expected list of devices attaching to it. [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.31)] to MAC address B2:2E:18:XX:XX:XX, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 12:29:53 [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.32)] to MAC address FA:63:40:XX:XX:XX, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 14:30:52 [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.33)] to MAC address 48:5F:99:XX:XX:XX, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 16:53:15 [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.35)] to MAC address D8:FB:5E:XX:XX:XX, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 10:04:43 [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.38)] to MAC address E2:11:A4:XX:XX:XX, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 13:36:20 [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.30)] to MAC address D4:1B:81:XX:XX:XX, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 10:17:58 [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.41)] to MAC address 8C:29:37:XX:XX:XX, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 10:18:20 [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.42)] to MAC address 96:0C:98:XX:XX:XX, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 11:06:11 [DHCP IP: (192.168.1.43)] to MAC address 4E:69:49:XX:XX:XX, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 16:09:10

And a little bit of housekeeping in the log file. [Time synchronized with NTP server] Friday, Mar 03,2023 22:35:58 [Internet connected] IP address: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX, Friday, Mar 03,2023 22:35:57 [Initialized, firmware version: V1.0.11.136] Friday, Mar 03,2023 22:35:35 [Admin login] from source 192.168.1.32, Saturday, Mar 04,2023 20:31:21

But what was a bit disconcerting was this logged event. [DoS attack: FIN Scan] (1) attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [18.154.206.7], Saturday, Mar 04,2023 00:33:13

Reply to
dan

Some routers over-log too much chaff.

Don't need to configure time much unless you've set time of day filtering of some kind or other - or if logging events with accurate times is important to you.

Most routers support NTP - so find a server "near" you. (Within 3000 km is fine enough for this purpose). You should even be able to set the DST rules per your locale.

DoS attack: Don't worry about it. If the attack were working, you'd know. Do a speed test to see if you're getting the nominal BW from your ISP.

Reply to
Alan Browne

You made me get up and look, but my GS208 switches definitely have white plastic cases. I prefer metal cases, so I'm not sure how I ended up with three of these. They work fine, though.

Sounds likely.

Reply to
Char Jackson

You may not have read the thread or you'd see that it's beyond simple.

Disable DHCP, configure a static LAN IP, and don't use the WAN port. Now you have an unmanaged switch, and you can do it with virtually every SOHO router, with or without WiFi. No extra software required, you can do those simple tasks right from the router's GUI.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Well, not a set of switches, but just one switch (per router). Also, I wouldn't call this kind of switch powerful. Oh, just a reminder to check the speed of those switch ports. If it's an older router, they could be limited to 100 meg. These days, gigabit is probably expected.

If you use it as a client, then you're using one of the radios, leaving the other radio available. I may not be fully up to speed, but I don't remember being able to use one radio in client mode and the other radio in AP mode. If you decide to go that route, check into that.

Not a con because where you initially had one Ethernet port, now you have three.

Reply to
Char Jackson

yep, it looks like the gs108 and 308 are metal and the 208 is plastic.

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

the old fs108 (100bt) is metal and their higher end stuff is metal.

Reply to
nospam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.