Need help finding a bigger antenna for my card.

Hey there. im totally new here, just joined 30 secs ago, but i need help. :mellow: i want to buy an antenna for my Linksys WMP54G wirless internet card. a big antena... like up to 80$ worth big. but i dont know ne thing about em. im not sure what to look for or where, and the thing i really dont know about is the connector size, if i would need some adapter for this anntenna or if they even make em =\\ so b4 i buy something off the interweb without knowing 100% of what im doing, i figure i ask here. thx to ne one who can help. ill be on for a while. probly all day, im sick :(

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Scorpion SGT
Loading thread data ...

Scorpion SGT hath wroth:

The WMP54G is a PCI card with a reverse SMA connector (RP-SMA). You'll need:

1. A 1 or 2 ft pigtail with a mateing RP-SMA connector on one end, and probably an "N" connector on the other.
  2. An antenna.
  3. Some thick heavy coax cable (LMR-400) if the antenna will be more than about 10ft away from the the computah.

Work on the punctuation and grammar. Most people only exert as much effort in answering your question, as you put into asking.

See: Panel Antennas:

Dish Antennas:

Pigtails and coax cables:

I have no idea which antenna is appropriate. You haven't bothered to specify what you're planning to do with the antenna, where you plan to mount it, or how far you expect to make a connection. I'll be happy to offer advice on antenna selection and installation, but not a lecture on how antennas work, what the numbers mean, and how they are used. There's plenty of that on the web:

Assorted Tutorials:

(See archives on lower right)

Wi-Fi FAQ:

Also, it might be helpful to know that 6dB of antenna gain equates to doubling your range. (12dB is 4 times, 18dB is 8 times, 24dB is 16 times, etc).

Oh yeah, get well.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Big? As in more gain? Do you want omni directional or directional?

In other words, do you want to have a signal from one fixed point to another or from a fixed point (the Linksys) to anywhere you will sit your other computer?

Reply to
DTC

You didn't specify much. But since it's a PCI card, it's probably being used as a fixed client. And you say "big antenna" so I translate that to longer range, higher gain.

If that's true, then you want a directional antenna. Panels are common and effective, and also the "backfire" style is said to work well. It's small but may be just the ticket. Big dish and grid antennas would be for serious distance. I would be doing link calculations before ever choosing a dish, that's for sure. A 14 dbi panel or backfire will go quite far with clear line of sight.

Will it be indoors or out? Take a good look (better yet-test) where you plan to put the antenna - it can really make a big difference.

Consumer antennas I've seen in stores mostly come with a cheap, lossy

3'-6' cable direct to RP-SMA or RP-TNC. Don't buy those. Not worth it. Get one that has an N-female mounted right on it, or a short pigtail.
Reply to
seaweedsteve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.