Looking for 802.11G PCMCIA card with best range

I have an older laptop with an internal WIFI circuit. As a road warrior, the poor range is unacceptable. I am searching for a PCMCIA

802.11G card that provides superior range. If possible to receive WIFI networks while using my laptop in my car. I know that some are better than others, Thanks
Reply to
piclistguy
Loading thread data ...

Yep. However, permit me to offer a clue. If you look at the results of all the 802.11 distance records, which is currently at 237 miles, you'll probably notice that they use fairly common wireless cards. Most used 200mw or 300mw PCMCIA cards. However, the real secret to long range is in the antenna. A good high gain antenna will not only increase your range, but also decrease the interference from other systems to the side of the antenna.

Since you didn't bother to mention the maker and model number of your "older" laptop, I can only suspect that you're embarrassed at having purchased this particular laptop. That's fine, but does make it difficult to offer specific recommendations.

Your internal wireless card probably has Hirose U-FL connectors. You can easily find a U-FL to RP-SMA, RP-TNC, or N connector pigtail.

Attach to the port labeled "main" on your MiniPCI wireless card. Snake the cable (somehow) to outside the laptop. Plug in a real antenna and you'll get far better range than with any PCMCIA card.

Dig through some of these:

for clues on how it's done.

Otherwise, buy a PCMCIA or Card Bus wireless card with an external antenna connector.

This might also be of interest:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I find that the internal WiFi in my laptop is far superior to the PCMCIA cards that I have tried. That is probably because my laptop has bar antennas at the top and right edge of the display. The little antenna built in to a PCMCIA card would be hard pressed to compete.

If you mean while your car is moving, that's not likely to happen. Without antennas mounted external to the laptop, and possibly external to the car, you aren't likely to get 100 foot range.

I can sit in the parking lot of a Starbucks and use the T-Mobile WiFi.

You might want a USB WiFi client radio for improved range, but that's not handy with a laptop.

If you want better in-car coverage, you would want cellular coverage. Cingular 3G is good speed, offered in some cities, with lower speed almost anywhere voice signal is available.

formatting link
check the "3G" box if you are zoomed in on a place of interest.

Reply to
dold

If reception is the objective and not using free wireless ... In Boston area Verizon is the old AT&T , and friends have/use Verizon's PCMCIA Cellular cards all around the country and love 'em I don't know specifics ( who makes the card etc) - might just stop into a Verizon ( your regional AT&T version ) store. The billing on them is like a cell phone though - pay even whether or not you use it. Unlike 802.11 , as you drive around with these cards, you just change cell areas - like a phone. If you're business picks up your cell phone, see if you can't just add one of these to your plan. But , do watch the road - not the laptop LCD.

Reply to
- Bobb -

One more vote for Verizon -- Company has a handful of loaner laptops with 'cell' cards.

#1 Verizon for most major cities. Only place I've found with spotty coverage is Shaumberg, IL #2 Sprint -- d/l speed is best for large documents. Smooth VPN. #3 AT&T / EDGE -- seems competitive for streaming but on ftp using TCP/IP the latency causes the laptop to d/l in fits & hiccups. I've also had VPN failures with EDGE.

-- pj

Reply to
PJ

I have run VPN with Remote Desktop on AT&T, both with EDGE, and the slower GPRS. EDGE speeds should now be available anywhere AT&T has service. In an area with 3G coverage, a friend was running VPN and a corporate Ciscophone connection. He has both tethered a Motorola V3xx as well as used the laptop card.

While stationary, I have run VPN sessions for hours. I haven't tried a connection in a moving vehicle.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.