Wireless router help.

Hi i'm looking for good advice on what kind of wireless router I should get. Right now I have a WRK54G which is as old as dinosaurs.

I was hoping I could find a router with 10/100/1000 ports. I was looking at the D-link DGL 4300 which I really like what i've heard so far.

Here are some links to a couple that I was looking at.

I'm Also not to entirely concerned about price.

'Newegg.com - D-Link DGL-4300 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless Gaming Router - Retail'

formatting link
'Newegg.com - D-Link DIR-655 IEEE 802.11n (draft) IEEE 802.11g IEEE

802.11b IEEE 802.3 IEEE 802.3u Xtreme N Gigabit Router - Retail'
formatting link
'Newegg.com - D-Link DGL-4500 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11a/b/g, IEEE802.11n Draft Xtreme N Gaming Router - Retail'
formatting link
'Newegg.com - LINKSYS WRT330N 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.3, 802.3u, draft 802.11n Wireless-N Gigabit Gaming Router - Retail'
formatting link
Thanks for any Advice ahead of time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Sgt-Mess
Loading thread data ...

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:39:59 -0500, Sgt-Mess wrote in :

Why? 1000 ports won't actually do you much good.

Reply to
John Navas

Sure they will, not for wireless of course, but they'll certainly improve any bulk traffic present on the local network. As in, if you've got a computer pushing/pulling video to a Tivo or other DVR. I upgraded my own network to use an 8 port gigE router and a gigE interface on the PC handling just that sort of traffic. While the Tivos themselves remained using

100BaseT connections. This improved their performance to allow them both to simultaneously transfer programs to/from the PC at the same speed. About a 35% improvement over past simultaneous performance. Even their box-to-box transfers improved, mainly due to having better throughput on the switch.

So if you've got a lot of large files being moved about and more than just one or two machines, it may make sense to use a gigE capable switch and interfaces in the PCs.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 08:26:09 -0500, "Bill Kearney" wrote in :

Actually measure it. I think you'll find the 100 ports just as fast.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.