Help! Can only connect in Open not in WPA or WEP

A week ago my Toshiba A45 S161 Laptop quit connecting to my D-Link 624 in my house with WEP enabled. I upgraded to XP Pro, downloaded new drivers from Toshiba--still nothing in anything but open with no encryption. Bought a new Linksys WRT54GS--still nothing except in open mode. Did a virus scan--no viruses. Please help!

Reply to
superlove
Loading thread data ...

Check for MAC address filtering... Did you just upgrade, or upgrade to one of the service packs, and do you have a firewall already? (XP has a firewall built in now, that should be turned off if you already have a firewall active)

Reply to
Peter Pan

The one on the router doesn't matter...It's only the ones on your computer (like norton, zonealarm etc), the built in firewall in XP conflicts with them, and resets to on every time you run the network wizard thing.. During install it is turned off if it finds another one running, but unfortunately, if you run the network wizard, it turns it back on again and will never turn it off automatically).. Some software installs will also run the setup wizard, and sneaks the xp firewall on....Only takes a second or two to make sure it is off (control panel, security settings, firewall settings, make sure off is clicked). Can't say it is the only thing, but the ways it gets turned on makes it one of the first things I check, and from what you said, sounds like it may be a possibility. The firmware for the Linksys wrt54 router was also redone (jan 5th for the g model, don't know the date for gs).. Check the

formatting link
website, click on your router model, and on the right side is firmware update, make sure you have the latest.

was playing and just checked.. go to

formatting link
on firmware on the right side, and this came up (showing an update on jan 3rd) Firmware Upgrade For

WRT54GS - Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster v1.0

Firmware Date : 1/3/2005 Firmware File Size : 3.43MB Firmware Version : 3.37.6 Click here to download the firmware file.

Click here to download the version information. The table below is a list of the minimum firmware requirements you must meet. Model Number Compatabile Firmware Version WRT54G 2.02.2 WAP54G 2.07 WRT54GS 2.07.1

Reply to
Peter Pan

Reply to
tzar

It's immaterial what is is or is called.. The FW in XP only conflicts/has problems with other software firewalls running on the SAME computer. If it's on another box that happens to be attached, doesn't matter.. not the same box...

Reply to
Peter Pan

No, a virus didn't do that.

You may want to have the following services and protocols on the NIC only and see if it works for you with WEP or WAP enabled:

1) Client for MS networks 2) File and Print Sharing for MS networks - not needed if you're not doing resource sharing 3) TCP/IP Internet protocol.

You don't need Qos on XP and can remove it.

Secondly, what is the IP that the machine has when you go to the Command Prompt and enter ipconfig /all ? -- not with (?).

If the IP starts with a 169 IP and you a rebooted the machine a couple of times and that IP has not been released, then you may have to reset the TCP/IP stack so the machine can get an IP from the router to access the Internet.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

What FW is on a NAT router for home usage? Some people supplement the NAT router for home usage (with no FW) but FW like features and SPI if you're lucky with a PFW solution.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

You miss the point. If that NAT router can meet the specs in the link for (what does a FW do?) then it has a FW in the traditional sense of a FW. If it cannot meet the specs and no NAT router under $200 or home usage router has a FW, then it's not a FW appliance. That's not to say that a NAT router cannot be part of a total FW solution. A serious packet filtering standalone router with a FW is like Zyxel or others in that category. Linksys, D-Link, Belkin, Netgear etc etc fall into the NAT router category of being called FW solutions by the marketers of those products but are not running FW software in the traditional sense.

formatting link

Reply to
Duane Arnold

And you miss the point again. What is a FW?

I don't care about the XP FW or any PFW period. When the PFW is running on and protecting a single machine that is directly connected to the Internet it is not separating two networks and is not a FW. Some people don't call PFW solutions FW(s) period and I too hesitate calling a PFW solution a FW. On the other hand, when the PFW solution is on a gateway computer separating the public Internet with a public facing NIC and a LAN/private facing NIC some can do that, I could see in that situation of the PFW solution being a FW.

Anyway, I have to hit the sack and be in Madison, WI for a .Net programming job interview.

Later!

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.