which PCI wifi card

Hi,

I am looking for good wi-fi card for my pc.

Must support Vista, 32 bit, Thomson router

I am looking at the Novatech site but cant't decide

the D-Link DWL-G510 looks good (good reviews)

The EDIMAX EW-7128G mentions a laptop, will it fit a DELL DIMENSION E520 tower (BTX). It has an external antenna. Is this a big advantage?

The EDIMAX EW-7728IN supports N, but does Thomson produce N. It has three antennas. Is this an advatage.

The Novatech 54 Mbps 802.11g has a double dipole antenna. Is this a big advantage.

Is the antenna the most important feature.

Any advice greatlfully received.

Reply to
species8350
Loading thread data ...

Not sure, but I think they use variable chipsets, which is NOT good.

It's a ralink, which has pretty good support under windows and linux. External antenna makes finding best reception easy. It is also very cheap. Buy this one and only upgrade if another kind offers real advantages. When this eventually happens, the new one will probably not be a PCI. []'s PS Look at the reviews under google shopping

Reply to
Shadow

the EDIMAX is on the way.

What's RALINK all about?

Someone said that the anteena can be bent. Surely not.

Any idea how good this antenna is?

Best wishes

S
Reply to
species8350

It's a chipset manufacturer. Edimax (and a lot of others) make these chipsets into wireless cards. This model uses the RT61 chipset, which is compatible with most operating systems

formatting link
Your driver will probably be the PCI/mPCI/CB (RT256x/RT266x) on that page. You can use the driver that comes on the CD with the card, or better still, install the driver you get from the ralink site, which will be much more up to date.

More info and electronic stuff on:

formatting link

Most can be folded. Not sure about this one. Why would you want to "bend" it ?

Not too sure, but the idea is you can move it around until you get the best reception.

Read the John Navas links on this newsgroup, he has pretty good advice.

Reply to
Shadow

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.