Oops. I dropped my ISP's jury-rigged rooftop antenna - Did research - Will these replacement parts work?

Note: Pictures included for clarifying detail!

Summary: I need to replace my directional 2.4Ghz planar (panel?) rooftop antenna & jury-rigged bridge (see pics); BUT I need advice from you guys (Jeff L. perhaps?) on replacing the jury-rigged bridge tie wrapped inside the rooftop enclosure.

Here is a picture of the mess INSIDE of the (now broken) rooftop antenna after I dropped it trying to replace the POE cat5 cable! (ouch!) http:// bayimg.com/hAHEgAadk

Here is a picture of the crazy "bridge" jury-rigged by the ISP I found inside the rooftop antenna housing:

formatting link
Here is a pictures of my (failed) attempt to connect directly to the 'bridge' inside the rooftop antenna housing:
formatting link
Here is a picture of the outside of the rooftop antenna (indicating it's a directional antenna):
formatting link
ADVICE: I mostly need advice because, after doing research, I'm confused about what antenna & bridge will replace what I have with at least as good or better equipment than the jury-rigged stuff the ISP previously installed.

Specifically I need advice on these three questions: Q1: Can I use any store-bought 2.4Ghz 14 to 18 Dbi dish or panel outdoor 'antenna' to replace the existing 6-year-old planar antenna? (Does it matter if it's a dish or a panel?)

Q2: Can I use "just any" store-bought POE outdoor 'router' to replace the POE "bridge" inside the rooftop-antenna housing?

Q3: How would I match the MAC address of the existing Ethernet card?

DETAILS: My connection is beamed to me by my ISP to my POE rooftop antenna (which has a jury-rigged bridge inside the enclosure!). The previous owner paid about $300 to the ISP to install this contraption 6 years ago but I never knew the horror that was inside until this weekend (see pictures).

Basically, I dropped the assembly (trying to replace the cat5 wire) and want to replace both the antenna & the bridge and need advice for choosing BETTER components than which the ISP will install.

Of course, the ISP will come out, for another $300, and install another 'crummy' setup ... (see pictures to understand what I mean); but can't I just buy QUALITY components for about the same amount of money if I just do my homework and get the right advice?

WIRING: There was an intermittent POE connection so I bought a new cat 5 cable & in the process of replacing it on the roof end, I dropped the antenna housing (containing a bridge tie-wrapped inside) to the ground.

One end of the 12 volt DC POE box attaches to the "Long range wireless multi-client bridge" (see pic) inside the rooftop antenna housing and the other end attaches to my WRT54G router inside my single-family home.

All my end point computer devices (me and the kids) are 801.11g (i.e., not N). Googling, based on the six-year old vintage of the rooftop antenna, I presume the rooftop antenna was 2.4Ghz (and not 5 Ghz).

The ISP appears to validate my subscription by the MAC address on the PCMCIA ethernet card inside the jury-rigged bridge inside the rooftop antenna enclosure; so, I could just tell them the new MAC address or better yet, just change the MAC address of the new setup to that of the old.

HOMEWORK: I was appalled at the jury rigging inside the enclosure (see pictures); and would simply like to replace the setup with BETTER equipment (for about the same cost that the ISP would charge me).

I don't know how much power I need, but, the ISP's antenna that feeds mine is about a half a mile away, through some trees, on a mountain top. I'm guessing the original (based on googling only) is about 18dBi.

PROPOSAL: Researching, can I replace the old antenna with a $50 to $75 outdoor 2.4 Ghz directional dish antenna of about 14 dBi to 18 dBi from wlanparts.com ?

My big question is how do I replace the 'bridge'? I know what a router is, but, after reading what a bridge is, I'm confused. It seems like a router to me.

Can I just replace the 'bridge' that was jury-rigged inside the antenna enclosure with a Ubiquity.com outdoor 2.4 Ghz Bullet2 HP high-power POE router?

I know how to change the MAC address on my Linksys WRT54G router; can I just change the MAC address on that ubiquity outdoor router so that it acts just like the ISP's original (jury rigged) setup?

Thanks in advance, and, I'm sorry if this is too much detail.

To summarize (before I buy the parts): Q1: Can I replace my rooftop panel antenna with this store-bought dish antenna?

• 2.4 GHz 19dBi Gain Grid parabolic Dish N-Female, by Laird
  • formatting link
    Q2: Can I replace the bridge the ISP tie wrapped to the antenna with this store-bought 'router'? (Would getting an 802.11n be better than a 802.11g for my use?)
  • Ubiquiti BULLET-M2-HP Outdoor 802.11n 802.11g, by Ubiquiti
  • formatting link
    Q3: How can I change the MAC of the new router to that of the old PCMCIA ethernet card currently jury-rigged inside the old (now broken) enclosure?
Reply to
Sam Harrison
Loading thread data ...

Drat. I tried so hard to give you all the details but the URLs had line feeds inserted somehow so here are tinyurl urls.

Repeating the pics because the URLs had line feeds inserted in them.

- ISP contraption =

formatting link
ISP bridge with PCMCIA card =
formatting link
My attempt to 'access' the PCMCIA card =
formatting link
The planar? antenna I need to repladce =
formatting link
Repeating the questions with (non-truncated) tinyurl links: Q1: Can I replace the ISP's old antenna with this newer better one?

• 2.4 GHz 19dBi Gain Grid parabolic Dish N-Female, by Laird
  • formatting link
    Q2: Can I replace the ISP's jury-rigged "bridge" with this "router"?
  • * BULLET-M2-HP Outdoor 802.11n 802.11g, by Ubiquiti
  • formatting link
    Q3: Can I change the MAC address on this router to match the original 'bridge'? (Bear in mind, I'm still confused about the difference between a router and a bridge; and that I have no problem changing the MAC on my Linksys WRT54G router; but I could not connect to the ISP's bridge even when I wired it directly to my laptop PC).

TIA,for your advice!

Reply to
Sam Harrison

If you could read the model numbers/names on the things, it would help a lot

or both. You will need to replicate that. If you have the password to the "bridge"/AP you can see how it's configured

Could not connect because of the password, or because you don't know what address/port gives you the setup ? Try nmap scanning it to see what ports are open. Maybe even a simple traceroute will give you an idea.

Really, we need more data. Jeff will probably identify your setup by the pics. I can't. []'s

Reply to
Shadow

You can't replace the isp antenna with your antenna because you have to use the exact right combination provided by your isp

Only the isp can talk to their network because of software inside the bridge

And you can't use the router either because the router works on the ip layer but you need a bridge which only works on the mac layer

Call the isp and let them put new the antenna & bridge as you obviously can't do it yourself if you ask such questions as what's the difference

hub ==> all data goes to all ports bridge ==> a mac filter, one mac to another, all other macs rejected switch ==> more than one bridge so it still filters one mac to another router ==> one ip address to others

Reply to
Jeff Lanthum

I ID'd it. It's a Senao SL-2511CB3 Plus Deluxe

formatting link
Apart from the fact it's a "B",and can use WEP I can't understand anything else from the page. So yes, a normal parabolic antenna would be fine. []'s

Google translate: (Ugghh ... Ukranian..)

Wireless bridge WLAN, NL/SL-2511CB3 - 200 mylyVatt standard IEEE802.11b (Wi-Fi) Ethernet bridge Senao Senao Nayluchshaya model from the total model row Senao Obespechyvaet vsokuyu Productivity and hybkost when you install 23dBm(200mW) RF, 10 Multi-Client Bridge, Vhodnaya capacity of up to 23dBm (200mW) RF, Radyus Actions nearly 10 times higher than point to Multi-Client Bridge, Skorost data transmission virtually two times higher than the figure second analohychnh Device point-to-point, Point-to-multipoint , AP . Besprorvodnoe soedynenye point-to-point, Point-to-multipoint, AP mode. SL2511CB3+ Deluxe, NL-2511CB3 Plus, NL-2611CB3 Plus - SL2511CB3 + Deluxe, NL-2511CB3 Plus, NL-2611CB3 Plus-radio modem / technical characteristics / Senao SL-2511CB3 Plus Deluxe /E(F200): fychy Senao SL-2511CB3 Plus Deluxe / E (F200): NL-2511CB3 23dBm(200mW) RF 9 Multi-Client Bridge Vhodnaya capacity of NL-2511CB3 to 23dBm (200mW) RF Radyus Actions in

9 times higher than point to Multi-Client Bridge 11Mbps IEEE 802.11b IEEE 802.11 b Compatible with 11Mbps IEEE 802.11b Complete compatibility social standard IEEE 802.11 b point-to-point, Point-to-multipoint Besprorvodnoe soedynenye point-to-point, Point-to-multipoint Pozvolyaet DATA conveyed by users between the two or the building of large numbers of buildings Plug and Play . Plug and Play ease soedynenyya Wireless Devices with the broadcast. (Plug and Play). Not yspolzuet dopolnytelne draver (Plug and Play). Ethernet Power supply via Ethernet Hybkost in the location of the value of preservation Devices 64 /128-bit WEP Encryption of data 64 / 128-bit WEP Moschnaya Data Protection SSID (AP Mode) , . The hidden SSID (AP Mode) prevents the possibility of uses of frequencies nedopustymmy bar only by users that the network uvelychyvaet Effectiveness. DHCP Client DHCP Client Uproschennoe Administrative network Web-based configuration web browser- Multi-Client Bridge. Web-based configuration with the help of web browser-and perhaps administrators osuschestvlyat dystantsyonnoe management of Multi-Client Bridge. MAC address (AP Mode) Filtering MAC address (AP Mode) Harantyruet
Reply to
Shadow

Why would a "IEEE802.11b (Wi-Fi) Ethernet bridge" need a special antenna ? []'s I can't figure out why the ISP went to so much expense to set up a "B"/ WEP/MAC combo. Senao is expensive, and that antenna looks really crummy. Why not just a normal cheapo AP with an also cheapo directional parabolic ? []'s

Reply to
Shadow

Thanks for taking the time to help me out!

Here are better pictures of the model numbers.

1. The antenna only says "R24-14" & "Vertical Polarity" & "0415H1891". Here is a new picture showing that clearly:
    formatting link
  2. The bridge is jury rigged and tie wrapped by the ISP so that only the bottom half exists (there was never a top half). All it says on the bottom half is: NL-2611CB3 PLUS (DELUXE) LONG RANGE WIRELESS MULTI-CLIENT BRIDGE Made in Taiwan

Here is a pic that shows that clearly:

formatting link

1. The PCMCIA dual-antenna ethernet card only says: NL-2511CD PLUS EXT2(F200)CY Here is a pic that shows that:
    formatting link

I've had the system up for about a year and never once had to add an encryption key and I've changed routers in the meantime. So, I think they 'only' use MAC filtering.

So I need to replicate the MAC address on whatever outdoor POE router I buy.

I've never needed any password to connect to my ISP and certainly I've reset my router many times and it doesn't need anything to connect. It can be any MAC address.

I 'think' I only need to replicate the MAC address of the bridge (or call the ISP and tell them the new MAC address of my new setup when I buy it).

This is the part that confuses me. There is no password, that I know of. It's my equipment (the ISP built it and installed it years ago). Since I have the card in my hand, why can't I just power it up and connect to it (I held down the the reset button with a paper clip while the bridge was powered and things blinked a lot so I think I reset it successfully but I don't think there was ever a password because I can connect to the ISP if I change my computer MAC address but the antenna stinks so it's only a non-usable connection ... i.e., google takes a few minutes to come up to the home page!).

Here's what I tried to connect to the bridge directly to my ubuntu PC:

From my Ubuntu PC RJ45 port, I connected to the POE power supply data port and from the POE P+DATA power supply port I went to the RJ45 on the bridge (which was exactly how it was before except my home router was in place of my PC). All the lights variously lit up on the bridge (red and two greens and one green triangle on the PCMCIA card itself).

Here's my question: Q: What command connects to a bridge in this configuration?

For example, for my Linksys WRT54G router, I simply bring up http://192.168.1.1 but for the bridge, what do I bring up?

Note: I pressed the reset button on the bridge but I don't know what terminal command to ping the MAC address or the web browser command to access the ethernet card. Do you?

I pressed the reset button on the bridge. I just don't know how to 'connect' to a default bridge.

OK. I'll look up nmap. Maybe that's what I'm missing! :)

OK. I'll look up the Ubuntu traceroute command too!

Reply to
Sam Harrison

I'll give you all the data I have!

I hope Jeff comes in and provides his advice!

I really want this to work!

Reply to
Sam Harrison

The bridge is the crazy (see pic) jury-rigged part by the ISP!

The jury-rigged bridge was tie wrapped by the ISP into the antenna enclosure with only the bottom half existing and with the single antenna connection wire (on the bridge casing) cut off.

The antenna has a patch cable going from the center of the back plane to one of the two tiny connections on the PCMCIA wifi card itself.

Googling the term below, the bridge appears to be "Senao Networks, Inc." NL-2611CB3 PLUS (DELUXE) LONG RANGE WIRELESS MULTI-CLIENT BRIDGE

Here is a PDF about the bridge:

formatting link
And here is, I think, the right datasheet:
formatting link
Up to 23dBm(200mW) RF Output Power

- 11Mbps IEEE 802.11b Compliant

- Power-over-Ethernet

- 64 /128-bit WEP data encryption

- Hide SSID (AP Mode)

- DHCP Client

- Web-based configuration

Reply to
Sam Harrison

I don't recognize the device, but it doesn't seem mechanically broken other than a cracked case. Any internal or board damage? Is there a maker, model number, or first 6 digits of the MAC address to identify it?

Engenius/Senao ML-2611CB3 Plus. I'm neutral on the quality. Some say it's great, other say it's crap. No clue who's right.

Your photos are marginal. No detail, mostly otto focus, too tiny, and yucky GIF files. The answers you get are only going to be as detailed as the info you supply. From the blurry image, I don't see anything that looks incorrect. It should work. What exactly is broken or not working?

That's a RooTenna by Pacific Wireless

15dBi gain claimed. I'm also a fan of science fiction.

Sure, no problem. You're only trying to connect to one remote bridge or access point, so there won't be any issues with coverage area. More gain is always better.

Maybe. However, it's not plug-n-play. The Bullet M2 HP is my current favorite and should work electrically. However, there are some unanswered questions that you'll need to investigate:

1. If authentication is by MAC address, you'll need to change the registration with the wireless WISP.
  2. If the ISP system is using WEP/WPA/WPA2 encryption, you'll need to get the password from the ISP.
  3. If the ISP is setting the transmit power to avoid overload at the central bridge or access point, you'll need to have them set it.
  4. If the ISP is using 802.11b only, then you'll need to turn off
802.11g and 802.11n features.
  1. If the ISP is using alternative firmware, such as DD-WRT, you'll need get the correct version number, or have them do it.

Translation: It's not going to happen unless you first contact your ISP.

I've never tried it, but this *MIGHT* work:

wlanconfig ath0 destroy ifconfig wifi0 down ifconfig wifi0 hw ether 11:22:33:44:55:66 ifconfig wifi0 up wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode sta ifconfig ath0 up

If it works, store this in /etc/persistent/rc.poststart

Again, I haven't tried this, don't know if it works, don't consider MAC address juggling to be ethically correct, and will not be responsible if you trash your bridge, or your WISP kicks you off his system for hacking.

Why haven't you just called your WISP for help with repair or replacement of the existing hardware? Presumably, it worked before it was dropped and should be adequate for the purpose.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

vertical, or horizontal polarity. At least, both of mine can :) Just check with the ISP what they use. So the antenna is probably NOT a problem.

As to the rest, I thought only the antenna had fallen and was damaged. If the bridge has been reset, I really don't think you can recover the settings anymore. Nmap will only find the admin port, and traceroute will not work if your connection is not "up".

The default Senao IP is "192.168.1.1", username is "admin" and there is no password, just press enter. I would just phone the ISP, tell them what happened and ask them if you could buy your own antenna/AP. Probably much cheaper. You seem to be quite capable of putting these things together (and tearing them apart) :) []'s

Reply to
Shadow

For 6 years on the roof, it doesn't look that bad. No water damage, no visible corossion, and no jungle rot. I would say the box was doing its job.

Finding proper radios that will piggyback on panel or dish antennas is not easy. Ubiquiti figured out that there was a market and has done wonders in that area.

6 years ago, WISP's were still dealing with router boards, with PCMCIA cards crammed into slots, and mounted in creative manners. I've seen (and done) much worse.

The antenna is worth about $50, the box about $40, and the 2611 bridge another $75. Add $60 more for PoE, misc parts, and fabrication labor. The former owner apparently got the hardware at cost, and the installation labor for free.

Did you try it after you dropped it? The Rootenna has a 35 degree beamwidth, so aiming should not be a problem.

Look at the PCMCIA wireless card or label on the antenna to be sure.

There might be more than that going on. See my other posting in this thread.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I agree. The antenna is the easiest part of the equation. I spent hours today trying to get a variety of 'routers' from Fryes working. Not one worked even with Linksys tech support. Apparently very few people deal with 'bridges' and the Linksys tech guys said the routers I bought don't function as bridges. (Funny, I thought all routers could be bridges.)

Actually, the 'antenna' itself is not damaged.

What's damaged is:

- The antenna enclosure is toast

- The 'pigtail' from the antenna to the bridge broke

- The bridge is probably OK (the lights light up)

I drove to to Frys and Radio Shack and they don't even know what an antenna pigtail is! :(

Where DO you get a simple male-to-male MC to SMA pigtail in the Silicon Valley anyway (the MC goes to the PCMCIA ethernet card in the bridge & the SMA goes to the antenna).

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think there 'are' settings in the bridge (other than the MAC address is hard coded into the ISP's MAC filtering). I may be wrong, because I really don't (fully) understand what the bridge was doing in the first place.

As far as I can tell, the bridge was just bridging the two networks (mine and the ISP's) together. So why I can't find a bridge in the local store is beyond me but I never looked for a bridge before.

Reply to
Sam Harrison

Hi Jeff, I was hoping you'd help out. That's EXACTLY the antenna (from the looks of the picture). Thanks for finding that! The web site you noted says I can buy a new one for 50 bucks if I just want to replace the broken enclosure.

The bigger 'problem' is whether the 'bridge' is still working. I see lights when I power it under POE but I don't have any way of 'testing' it until I can find a male MC to male SMA pigtail in San Jose. DO you think in Santa Cruz, where you are, that I can find a pigtail at a local store?

If that's what it takes, I'll buy the equipment and tell them the new MAC address. I was hoping to just change the MAC address on the router; but again, if that's what it takes (and if the ISP will let me), I'll just tell them. It's a local mountain ISP so who knows what they'll do.

Wow. Lots of stuff I didn't know I needed to consider!

OK. I didn't realize that. I've been on the phone with them over the bad cat5 cable to the roof; but I didn't realize I'd have to do so much with them. I'll ask them if they let me buy my own 'bridge'.

Simple. They put in (what appears to be) crappy equipment. For example, the bridge is 200Mw (apparently) whereas I can put in a watt (e.g., Bullet 2 HP) for for what they're charging ($300 or $400 for a new setup).

Fundamentally, by thinking this out, I was hoping to put in better equipment than they do for the same price (a few hundred bucks) that they would charge me.

I see your other post so I'll read that next (am at a Starbucks as I don't have any connection at home yet despite trying everything I could buy at Fryes).

Reply to
Sam Harrison

The pigtail broke. I drove all over San Jose looking for a male SMA (for the antenna) to male MC (for the Ethernet card) pigtail; but I'm unfamiliar with stores that sell them. So, I don't know how to test without that pigtail first! :(

I could drive to Santa Cruz tomorrow, if I knew where they sell 'em.

Reply to
Sam Harrison

Sorta catch 22 plenty on evilbay , or perhaps a call or two to your local It and cabling companies

Reply to
atec77

I guess that's my homework as offhand, I can't even think of an "it" company or "cabling" company in the local area ...

But, I was hoping, instead of 'fixing' the broken antenna housing & pigtail (and perhaps the broken bridge) ... I was hoping to put a whole net (improved) setup in place.

I'll need to call the WISP and find out if that's feasible, given Jeff's information that there may be more to that bridge than just the MAC address filtering.

BTW, it's so hard to find a bridge that I wonder ... where DO people go to get their bridges anyway?

Reply to
Sam Harrison

I'm still using a bunch of Linksys WRT54GL's (with dd-wrt firmware) as bridges, although none are doing the exact duty that you require. Still, dd-wrt allows you to set the MAC addresses as you wish, I believe, so that might be an option.

Reply to
Char Jackson

I suggest you speak to your isp and discover the operating parameters , certain equipment will be required and I don't know your market area so am unable to be concise although jeff maybe assist when you know , until then it's supposition and guess work , posting the requirements will help

I often use Ubiquity , BreezeCom or Aironet or even powernoc sometimes a cheap Asus with wrt will do if it's not in the direct weather

Reply to
atec77

Are you sure it's an MC connector? Double check here:

Maybe in SCZ at:

No clue on San Jose. Frys? I don't buy such things retail. You're also going to have a problem finding one. There are plenty of SMA to MC adapters on eBay, but almost all of them have an RP (reverse polarized) male SMA connector. Try this search on eBay: mc to sma male -RP pigtail Incidentally, the Chinese vendors have a strange idea of which SMA connector is male or female, so try it both ways. I found two pigtails that qualify.

Usually, the MC to SMA pigtail has a bulkhead mounted RP-SMA feed-thru connector, so that it can be mounted inside a waterproof box. Then an SMA Male to RP-SMA Male pigtail is used between the box and the antenna. You may need to find an adapter. I can probably build you a cable if really desperate but your ISP probably has them laying around.

Well, it's not the one I'm thinking of because SurfnetC is running a mesh network with mostly Mikrotik hardware. Etheric is using Ubiquiti on 5.7GHz. So, who else is doing a WISP in my back yard?

Yep. There are plenty of other details that are unknown. Long range wireless requires tweaking some timing in the bridge. They might be doing remote management and monitoring, which will require a static IP address for the bridge. If they're using an exotic protocol, there might be a license involved. On the other hand, it might just be a throw it together and hope for the best arrangement. Difficult to tell from here. However, you may have already made a fatal mistake. You punched the reset button. I don't know if that clears the settings on the 2611, but if it does, you have nothing to work with.

Major mistake. You want to belch as little power as needed to get a decent SNR at the receiving end. Anything more just produces interference. It's the alligator effect. An alligator is an animal with a big mouth and small ears. If you can transmit farther than you can hear, then the excess range simply translates into interference. It's ok to install a higher gain antenna because it increases both receive and transmit range. However, increasing transmit power only creates an alligator.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.