Geek question on wireless and XP profiles

I have a laptop has 2 XP profiles (user accounts) One profile connects perfectly fine to the internet Linksys router. While the other XP profile sees the router but doesn't connect, just times out. I've tried everything! Looking for geek help!

Thanks JaKe

Reply to
jkdrummer
Loading thread data ...

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 10:28:11 -0800 (PST), jkdrummer wrote in :

What's different?

Reply to
John Navas

jkdrummer hath wroth:

When you say "profile", do you mean the ones listed at: Control Panel -> System -> User Profiles or do you mean just another user login? If the former, what are you trying to accomplish with having multiple profiles? Those are intended for different hardware configurations, such as plugging into a docking station. However, you should see two "user profiles" listed. One for your user login account. The other for administrator. Don't vaporize or mess with the administrator account or you will have trouble using recovery tools, such as booting to the "recovery console".

My guess(tm) is that the user profile does not have administrator privledges. The wireless driver may have been installed with administrator-only privledges preventing operation as a mere mortal user. Before you start tweaking permissions all over the place, go unto: Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager and see if the wireless device is listed and functional, or if it has a big "X" through it indicating that it's disabled.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.