Fonero

formatting link

Anyone familiar with this? It seems to be like Meraki.

Reply to
Karen
Loading thread data ...

"Karen" hath wroth:

Yes, I'm familiar with FON. What would you like to know that's not in the web pages?

FON is NOT like Meraki. Meraki is a mesh network built on the technology from MIT Roofnet Mesh. FON is not a mesh. Meraki is targeting ISP's, while FON is targeting individual users that have their own broadband connection that they're willing to share. Meraki has a management system to remotely run the wireless mesh. FON doesn't manage anything.

Both have some interesting investors, projects and ideas:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks. I had searched for Fonero in this group, didn't know it was called FON. Also I didn't know it wasn't mesh. This is a whole new world for me. I was just wondering what people thought of it.

Reply to
Karen

"Karen" hath wroth:

Fonero is the person that has a FON router installed. La Fonera is the replacement software for the router. I don't pretend to understand the terminology. (Hint: The founder is from Argentina). There's some clues here:

I have a rather marginal opinion of the whole thing. We have three local FON routers setup at various peoples houses and offices (all using WRT54GL routers with OpenWRT firmware). They've been operating for about 9 months. One of them is running a fake FON router:

(The surest sign of success if reverse engineering).

The major problem I've seen is that visitors and neighbors seem to want to "take over" the system. Stolen logins and passwords seem to be commonly available. If the owner wants to use it, there's very little bandwidth left. I've had to go around and impliment QoS on two of these routers to maintain some semblence of sanity. Basically, it makes sense if you have a FON system or account.

However, that's just my marginal opinion. I'm sure there are others that have done better or it would have died long ago. Methinks you'll do better asking questions on the FON blog and BBS at:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Consider that you will be sharing your internet connection with the "world."

Reply to
burris

I've used the service in Spain recently, as an "Alien." Very happy with the service, and the price was terrific. I bought 5 one-day passes for

10 euro. The first time I used the service, I couldn't get streaming (e.g. for watching BBC news) but it was fine the other times.
Reply to
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.