File and printer sharing

I have set up a WRT54GS ver1.1 with DD WRT v 24 software. I have no trouble connecting wirelessly to the internet from any computer I have tried but I cannot share files and printers. I dont have any trouble doing this using a wired router.

The computers are using wrt54GS V2.0 routers operating in client mode also running the same software.

Sharing would not be so imporant except I want to download movies and music to my RV's computer. When traveling we also use the computer in the RV to keep all our photographs taken during a trip, I had hoped I could download these to one of the computers in my house wirelessly.For now I am doing this by copying to a USB drive.

I can share my files wirelessly with my neighbor who is using a stock Dlink router so I dont think its the Client settings.

Being able to access movies and music from outside my house was my main motivation for going wireless.

I dont think I made any changes to the router and it is set up with the default settings.

Jimmie

Reply to
jimmie68
Loading thread data ...

Try to determine if "wireless" is the issue here. Does sharing fail if wired into the WRT54GS ? If I had to guess I'd say that your firewall saw your neighbours networks as friendly but yours as not to be trusted.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Parker

So doesn't the Wireless router and wire LAN ports? Make it work on the wire before moving to wireless.

What are the Windows O/S(s) involved?

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

I finally got everything working although I am not sure of what I did. Apparently you cant share files and printers if you run a wireless network with no security. At least this is what I think the problem was. This would be great for people who want to run a public AP. You would not have to worry about clients getting into each others computer while providing internet service. Is my assumption truly the case?

Jimmie

Reply to
jimmie68

No, your assumption is not the case. A wireless network without security will not block file sharing. Keep looking.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.