Dlink DWL 650+ and SMC Barracade router : sudden problem with Internet access

My laptop was working fine with a Dlink DWL-650+ pcmcia card connected wirelessly to a SMC Barracde 802.11b router. I can surf the Net and exchange files among the 3 computers on my LAN runnig under InfraStructue mode. (1 wired running XP and 2 wireless win98se)

Now today out of the blue my laptop started to back up its registry all by itself during boot up and 'reset' all the settings back to factory default or per previous owner's isntallations. Even the desktop settings !! : (

I have restored most of the settings back to my own but now I cant get on the Internet even though I can get on my LAN . I tried typing in the password, WEP 128bit etc. Reset and reboot my SMC 802.11b router, did 'Winipcfg' on the laptop etc. Nothign helped.

Any hints feedbacks or answers will be greatly appreciated. TIA

Reply to
Alan
Loading thread data ...

firewall maybe? Does the other wireless surf the internet fine?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I was going to buy a DWL650+ but noticed that the "system requirements" listed Windows XP and Windows 2000 ONLY. I have a similar setup, wired desktop with XP and 2 Dell laptops with Win98SE and recently upgraded to a D-LINK DI-624M 802.11 Super G MIMO PreN Wireless Router. I'm glad I noticed the system requirements, or I'd probably be in the same boat. You may have to upgrade your Win98SE in order for it to be stable. Cheers, Wizzzer

Reply to
Wizzzer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.