Wireless access point question

Greetings all,

So here's my problem: I'm a sysadmin at a company that would like to provide wireless access to visitors and employees in a few different conference rooms.

Our current system uses MAC security as well as a key. The problem with this is that the whole system needs to be rebooted once you put a new MAC address in, and we can't do that because our manufacturing floor relies on the system.

Therefore, daytime visitors have to wait until the next day to be able to use the wireless. It's a real pain.

Is there an access point product that pulls up a default web page that you can type a key into? I've seen this type of thing at internet cafes and airports... anyone know of a product that does this?

Thanks

P.H.

Reply to
syrjalab
Loading thread data ...

You really don't have the right product here at all. If you want to provide visitor access then you ideally need an AP that provides multiple SSID's or some form of authentication, certainly one that doesn't need a reboot!

MAC/WEP security is as good as no security for anyone that has half an hour to spare to crack it.

If *all* that you want to do is offer visitors access to the internet on a cheap basis then either just install a second AP (cheaper than replacing the existing AP with one that provides multiple SSID's and VLAN assignments to an appropriate AAA server) or alternatively use something like this:-

formatting link
You can get them with the radios built in too for an all in one solution.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.