DHCP problems

Hi I have a DSL router with DHCP enabled, the gateway is 192.168.2.1 the wired part is working fine. But I have two laptop connecting wireless, both have identical settings, one gets its IP with no problem, the other gets a gateway

192.168.123.254 and an IP 192.168.123.150. the signal is excellent in both cases. Did ipconfig /release and renew on the faulty one, put in the gateway 192.168.2.1 but I still get an IP 192.168.123.150. I'm using WPA-PSK with TKIP

Of course if I give it a static IP all is fine, but this user travels a lot in different hotels. Could someone please help me

Thank you Thynker

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Thynker
Loading thread data ...

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 13:56:53 -0500, Thynker wrote in :

Sounds like it may be connecting to a different wireless network (e.g., a neighbor). Make sure you have a *unique* SSID set in your wireless router; e.g., something like your street address, not just "linksys".

Check the computer settings for the list of available automatic networks (which might trigger connection to a different network), as well as non-Windows connection manager software (which can override settings).

Reply to
John Navas

You could turn off "your" router, and see if the system magically connects anyway ;-)

Do you have a monitoring tool that will expose that you have actually connected to a WPA connection, and not your neighbor's open connection?

192.168.123.x sounds like a non-default setup in someone else's router. Mine will expose the connection type, a little padlock, and even show the MAC address of the WAP.

If you don't have such a tool, you could start-run-cmd and run arp -a, which should expose the ip address and MAC of the router.

My new laptop with built in WiFi can connect to access points that the old laptop with a PCMCIA card didn't even "find".

I agree about the non-default SSID. Presumably, you will configure to auto-connect at home. You probably shouldn't auto-connect to random access points that are at the default "linksys" out in the wild world.

Reply to
dold

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 18:31:50 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@70.usenet.us.com wrote in :

True, but you should use a unique SSID in any event.

Windows will tell you if the connection is secure or not -- View Available Networks.

No surprise there -- the big antennas in better laptops are much better than the tiny antennas in PC Cards.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.