Determining who operates which APs

formatting link
What generally is the purpose of the above site?

Reply to
Gonzago
Loading thread data ...

Usually people that host websites might look up the owner of a particular IP. For instance, some jerk from the UK was trying to hack into my PHP admin account. Needless to say I sent the info to the hosting company to investigate.

formatting link
is one I use. There are also programs you can install on the website to gather stats on users, such as piwik or google analytics. They have a limited about of IP lookup in them. More interesting to serious webmasters would be stats on what browser they use, plugins, etc.

Sometimes if you are using a wifi hotspot (well actually any wifi you don't own), it is interesting to see what IP they use. I've run ip2location at Peets for instance, though I don't recall the details anymore. In this particular application, think of it as the unix/linux whoami.

Reply to
miso

miso wrote in news:jkahkt$pkh$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

That's not going to give you who owns the AP. It only will give you the ISP they are using which is a dead end unless you can call up the ISP and get someone to hand over their customer's name.

Reply to
wacked

No argument from me. I'm not sure why I said owner. You just get the IP.

Reply to
miso

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.