DD-WRT & rflow collector

It's not fixed yet, but I've got a handle on it. However, you're right. I should get a backup before I do something dumb.

It's SCO Xenix 2.3.3 (not the latest which was 2.3.4). It's running on a 386-20 with an IIT Co-processor, 8MBytes of RAM, and a 270MByte (not gigabyte) hard disk. The Archive 2150 cartridge tape drive died long ago (when the rubber roller turned to sticky goo). I've got TCP/IP running on a WD8003 ethernet card. I have two filesytems. /root for the OS and /u for the accounting system. I can cpio the whole mess fairly easily, but I sometimes get local streams buffer overflows. So, I just ftp the key files. I do have a full cpio backup, but it's fairly old. Incidentally, SCO ceased development on Xenix in about 1995.

Never, in my wildest nightmares, did I ever dream I would be trying to find a monochrome monitor. Sigh.

Incidentally, I "sold" (for the cost of shipping), all my MCA boards about 3 months ago. Two boxes with perhaps a total of 50 boards. Good riddance. That leaves the EISA and VL Bus cards.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Ah, not so old then; I consider anything from SCO "new".

Hmmm, don't we all have mono monitors stored in strange places? Too bad I am 1800 miles away... Anyway, long ago before mono monitors appeared surplus, I modified a Ball NTSC video monitor to accept external h&v sync and tweaked the horiz. osc. and it worked pretty well.

Still depend on some high-performing EISA boards here...

Michael

Reply to
msg

Great news. I guess it's time to update ours.

I'm not even guessing. I can see some numbers moving for each user connected. For now, that's my info: Who's online, and how their numbers compare to others.

Fantastic ! This could really help.

OK, so at least that verifies I'm not a total idiot - it is hard.

That was my experience. Also, it clashes with Rflow and messes it up as well.

Thanks Jeff. This affirms the value of Rflow. Not only is it the only one that works readily, but also, if more people use it, maybe somebody will take the initiative and improve it.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsl

I'll work on it when I catch up on my backlog. That should be sometime between a week and perhaps a few years from now.

SNMP is simple, not easy. Besides, if it were easy, it would be no fun.

Nope. At one point, I had Wall Watcher, RFlow, and MRTG pounding on my DD-WRT based router. I also was using an SNMP MIB browser to pound on the router at the same time. I sometimes had a contention problem with two SNMP programs running at the same time, but no crashes.

I think Netflow/Rflow is closer to the goal of monitoring per user connections. However, I know more about MRTG and SNMP, so I'm tempted to work with it instead. I'll probably toss a coin.

Incidentally, change your SNMP write "private" password to something obscure. It's possible to do all kinds of ugly things if I can write to your router. Leave the SNMP read password at "public" for now.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.