D-Link DWA 160 and Windows 7

Finally got it to work after...

I went from Vista home premium 32 bit to Win7 64 bit because that came with the replacement laptop.

The DWA 160 USB dual band adapter wouldn't work at all on the new system.

Installing from the CD went just so far and then said it couldn't detect the adapter.

Downloaded the latest drivers.

Still couldn't detect it.

Turned off Windows automatically installing drivers.

Plugged in the adapter.

Browsed for the driver and pointed to the folder containing the Vista-64 drivers for it.

Wouldn't install.

Tried again with the XP-64 bit drivers.

Success this time.

Remembered to turn automatic driver installation back on for the next new device.

But should I really have had to do all this?

And would a less experienced user have known what to do and how to do it?

There are three revisions of the DWA 160, two with Atheros drivers and one with Ralink. Turns out there is only development and maintenance on the Ralink, D-Link aren't maintaining the drivers for the Atheros version any more.

There is no way to tell which revision from the box until you open it, and the Atheros versions are still on store shelves.

More unethical behaviour from the manufacturers.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee
Loading thread data ...

How is it unethical to not provide free support forever? When you got the device drivers were provided, and anything beyond that was gravy. In other words, be grateful the XP drivers worked, so you didn't have to buy a more current device.

Reply to
John Navas

Please try not to be such an asshole next time.

My previous laptop was on its last legs with a broken hinge and I knew it would need to be replaced in the near future. By which time Win7 was already on new machines.

The DWA 160 is still on the shelves.

Both Microsoft and D-Link say it supports Win7.

You take pot luck when you buy it whether it will install cleanly (Ralink) or not (Atheros).

They are selling a non-current device in the same box as a current one.

Please try not to be such an asshole next time.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

So anyone that doesn't agree with you is an "asshole"?

Irrelevant.

Irrelevant. Your router is not on the shelves.

Not true.

Not true.

That the model number is the same is irrelevant. What matters is what you were promised when you bought it. Not what might happen down the road. Get a grip.

Please take your own advice.

Reply to
John Navas

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, Christopher A. Lee chose the tried and tested strategy of:

I haven't had any problems with Atheros and Ralink devices in linux.

Reply to
alexd

Where did I say that, liar who puts words they didn't say into people's mouths?

No, liar. It's why you are an asshole. The device is sold as current for Windows 7.

Yes it is, liar.

It's a Netgear WNDR 3700.

More lies.

More lies.

Now so?

Get a brain.

What part of "purchased to work as advertised to connect both Vista and Win7 to a WNDR3700" are you pretending you don't understand?

Oh, the irony.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Linux is different. You have to be a bit of a hacker and there is more information available as well as help from people who've hacked it.

Heck, you can even go to the source code which is what I was used to on the IBM mainframes before they went object code only.

My gripe is that I bought a dual-band adapter to go with Windows 7 because my Vista laptop was close to dying. The hinge had broken and it was only a matter of time before the screen detached itself completely. Windows 7 was already on all the new PCs in the stores and I knew the replacement would have it.

My router was new. When the previous one died I got a dual band WNDR

3700 from Netgear even though I did not yet have dual band adapters.

When I bought a new laptop I reasonably expected the wireless adapter I had just bought to work. After all both the Microsoft Win7 compatibility and D-Link web sites said it was supported.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

I'm pleased to inform you that you've earned a coveted spot in my twit filter. It's not easy -- posts have to be all crap and no value -- but you've cleared the bar with room to spare -- congratulations!

Reply to
John Navas

There weren't any apart from your own.

The hypocrite dishonestly snipped his lies starting with his gratuitous, un-necessary unprovoked nastiness.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.