Isolating Neighbour from my PC

My neighbour would like to hook up to my internet connection on a fairly infrequent basis. He only live here in the summer months. His computer is full of pop-ups, toolbars etc etc where he does not really know what he is doing or downloading. Last year I ran an ethernet cable into his place and hooked him up with a wired connection to my previous adsl modem/wireless router. I am also connected via an ethernet connection.

It may have been coincidental, but for the first time in a very long while, my PC got infected (I am running Norton Internet Security 2010) soon after hooking him up, and I lost more stuff than I want to remember.

At the moment I disconnect my ethernet connection when I go out to work, and hook his one up.

Although this works, I would prefer to put some sort of Isolating hardware between him and me, so we can both be connected at the same time.

I have since replaced the adsl modem/wireless router for a Belkin F5D7634-4 V2, but as far as I can tell, this router, does not support VLAN.

Can anybody please offer a solution to this problem, thanks.

Reply to
Anti-Spam
Loading thread data ...

For complete isolation (both directions): Have your neighbor buy two cheap routers and give them to you. Put your own network on new router A. Put the neighbor on new router B Connect both new routers to the Belkin.

p.s. Since this is a wired issue, it really doesn't belong here.

Reply to
John Navas

Excellent will go this route, thanks.

Sorry for posting in wrong group, what is the best live newsgroup for this topic, please.

Reply to
Anti-Spam

comp.dcom.lans.ethernet Unfortunately, it's near death, like much of the rest of Usenet.

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks for that. I remembered I had an old Linksys SPA3102 VOIP adapter, where the telephone side of it, was blown up by a lightning strike to the incoming phone line, but the Router section still works. It has NAT on the LAN side, so I put him on a different subnet from mine. Bold statement I know, but I do not have viruses/pop-ups on my PC, so not bothered about my PC infecting his. Just trying to protect my PC from his, do you think that will do it for me? TIA Mark in Spain.

Reply to
Anti-Spam

How are you configuring this? A network diagram would be helpful. ;)

Note that NAT alone is not as much protection as SPI firewall + NAT.

In general:

1. If you put your neighbor behind a separate firewall/NAT, then your neighbor (not you) is protected, albeit at the cost of Double NAT.

1. If you put yourself behind a separate firewall/NAT, then you are protected (not your neighbor), albeit at the cost of Double NAT.

INTERNET | | WAN/DSL +--------+--------+ | ADSL Modem/ | | Wireless Router | +--------+-+------+ LAN | | | +-------- NEIGHBOR (not protected from you) | WAN | +--------+--------+ | Linksys SPA3102 | | | +------+-+-+------+ LAN | | | | | | | | | YOU (protected from neighbor)

Reply to
John Navas

ADSL Modem + Wireless and 4 Port wired Router. (Wireless not used) Ethernet Port1 goes to my PC Ethernet Port2 goes to my neighbours PC via VOIP Router with NAT

So if I understand you correctly, it should be me behind the VOIP router, not my neighbour. I will change this around muchos rapido, thanks for the help John, appreciated.

Reply to
Anti-Spam

That protects your neighbor, not you.

Correct. Like the diagram. But a better solution would be a device with SPI firewall; e.g., Netgear RP614 (on sale for $38 with free shipping @ Newegg).

You're welcome.

Reply to
John Navas

Managed to finally implement all of what you advised. My replacement SPA3102 VOIP adapter/router turned up today, which my PC now hides behind. My neighbours PC hides behind the old, semi faulty one.

My Spanish neighbour is over the moon, the old boy is happy as Larry with his 24 hour internet service, thanks to you.

Regards Mark in Spain

Reply to
Anti-Spam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.