Do any wireless pci cards have 64bit vista drivers?

I checked everything available at circuit city and nothing seemed to have

64 bit vista drivers when I checked vendor sites for the cards they had for sale. This is for an HP a6040n computer with Vista Ultimate, 64 bit dual core intel 6320 cpu..

I tried putting in a linksys wmp54G v4 and it wouldn't pick up the drivers. Tried downloading Ralink drivers, same thing. This was because of a support site recommendation.

I'm returning the card and have no idea if anything else I buy for it will work.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
Rev. Vegetable Lasagne
Loading thread data ...

In general, most cards currently sold new have Vista drivers available.

See the Microsloth Hardware Compatibility List at:

Select the appropriate system and devices. Under "Categories" select "Wireless Network Cards". Punch start. 3 pages of listings follow. Select a vendor from the list.

Note that the Cisco-Linksys WMP54G v4.1 card is listed as certified for both x86 and 64 bit:

Methinks you did something wrong, but I can't tell what it was. I suggest you run all the Windoze and HP updates before trying to install anything new.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The card I got was a 4 card, not 4.1 even though it was bought last week.

As I said, I checked the vendor sites on the cards and nobody had 64 bit drivers.

I'll check that list though. Thanks!

Reply to
Rev. Vegetable Lasagne

"Rev. Vegetable Lasagne" hath wroth:

The WMP54G 4.0 versus 4.1 is a slight hardware difference. The same driver works with both. See:

Vista driver is at:

No, you said: "I tried putting in a linksys wmp54G v4 and it wouldn't pick up the drivers." That means you found the driver but it wouldn't install. This might be a good time to use System Restore to return you computah to where it was before you starting installing cards and drivers.

Good luck.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"Rev. Vegetable Lasagne" hath wroth:

Linksys Vista drivers:

Weird. The Microsoft HCL says most of the Linksys stuff is 64bit Vista compatible, but the Linksys site only shows 32bit.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Exactly. thats what I found on most of the vendor websites. I have the list printed out and will start checking.

Reply to
Rev. Vegetable Lasagne

When I said they wouldn't pick up the drivers, I mean I pointed the install drivers dialog to the drivers disk that came with the unit and the downloaded ralink drivers that were recommended, and Windows said there were no drivers for the device. There's nothing wrong with the system.

I have the 4.0 version, but the 4.1 version is the one that's vista certified even though I just bought it two weeks ago. Bastards don't have the decency to put the version on the box.

I'll work through the list and the vendors sites. Thanks again.

Reply to
Rev. Vegetable Lasagne

I talked the guy into just running a wire out of his bedroom across seven inches of wall and behind the computer desk. case closed. It just wasn't worth the hassle at this point. I'll revisit it in six months or so if he's still interested. It's just one desktop computer involved. Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Rev. Vegetable Lasagne

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.